‘Eventually it’ll be a campus-wide culture’

Willa Colville

People who attended the Green Dot Launch on Sept. 26 learned about preventing power-based violence by participating in fun activities like “Green Dot” Jenga. 

Willa Colville

Live it. 

This is the motto of Green Dot, and Jazzmine Brooks, Green Dot coordinator, wants the Iowa State and Ames Community to embrace it. Brooks hopes that eventually the power-based violence prevention techniques taught by Green Dot will be implemented into everyone’s daily life. 

Power-based personal violence is violence towards an individual in order to assert power or intimidation. Examples of this type of violence include sexual harassment, rape, domestic abuse and stalking. 

At the Green Dot Launch event on Wednesday, members of the Iowa State community participated in a program similar to the first launch event in 2017.

Attendees were given papers and visited stations where they learned about recognizing and preventing power-based violence. After visiting each station, each person’s paper was stamped. At the end of the program, if all boxes were stamped, participants had the choice of a Green Dot themed t-shirt, button or popsocket.

Participants who completed the program had the opportunity to enter a raffle. Three different themed raffle prizes were given. The first prize was themed around student wellness and included water bottles, a draw string bag and other items donated by the University Bookstore. The second prize, which was academic themed, included a coffee mug, folders, pens and miscellaneous school supplies. The final prize, “super-fan” themed, included tickets to the Iowa State vs Kansas State football game as well as a t-shirt, cap and stickers. 

Angel Eason, Maple Hall director, handed out prizes as attendees finished the program. Eason said she has been interested in Green Dot since the beginning and likes what they stand for. 

“I knew it was something I wanted to get involved in,” Eason said. 

Like Eason, people from all areas of Iowa State have become involved with the Green Dot organization. 

Brooks explained that people on campus will have “more opportunities to get involved” with Green Dot this year. For example, at the launch event, nonfacilitators from Student Wellness, Thielen Student Health Center, Iowa State athletics and more led a different station. 

Laura Knowles, nurses and patient services supervisor at Thielen Student Health Center, helped attendees at one station. At the station, participants walked through a “maze” and were confronted with “red dots” or scenarios involving power-based personal violence. After being confronted with the red dot, participants were asked to give an example of a “green dot” or a way to intervene and stop the violent situation from escalating further. 

Knowles said she was thrilled when Green Dot was introduced at Iowa State and has been involved from the get go. 

“Eventually it’ll be a campus-wide culture,” Knowles said. “We saw people come together for [Celia Barquín Arozamena], which was a tragedy. I hope that they will embrace this as well. There is always something that can be done [to prevent power-based violence].”

Another way for community members to get involved is through Green Dot’s bystander training program. This year, bystander training will be offered to Iowa State faculty and staff and any other members of the Ames community.

To learn more about Green Dot or to sign up for bystander training visit cyclonehealth.com/greendot.