Cosplay Club welcomes all members of the campus community

Courtesy of Elli Allen
Members of Cosplay Club at the club’s bake sale in fall 2023.

The Cosplay Club at Iowa State aims to foster an appreciation for cosplay by introducing people to its concepts and techniques.

Club officials, including club president Stephanie Wessels, said the club aims to teach the members how to cosplay and further improve their confidence in themselves and their abilities involving cosplay.

“We also are very welcoming to anybody who needs a nice, fun, new community for those who may not have one,” said Wessels, a junior in industrial technology.

Club members also encouraged students to attend the club’s semesterly bake sale.

“We host a bake sale every semester. That has been a really fun way to spread our word, and we usually raise around $500 each year,” said Elli Allen, treasurer of the Cosplay Club and a senior in apparel, merchandising and design. “Recently, we had a Valentine’s Day party with at least five clubs in total, and we got to spearhead the Asexual Alliance, Pride Alliance, Furry Club, Anime Club, as well as us.”

Wessels said the events are a great way to involve other members of the community.

This week, members of the Cosplay Club are traveling to Minneapolis for Anime Detour, an anime convention.

“We will take about 30 of our members,” Wessels said. “We booked the rooms and dealt with transportation. Our members can enjoy their time at a cheaper rate, and we help lower those prices with our fundraising.”

When considering common misconceptions about cosplay, Wessels pointed out that people do not need to have prior knowledge or even participate in the act of cosplay.

“I hope the club can do students a service by helping them find a community to grow and thrive in. I can say personally for me and for a lot of us, we have become a family and have been here to support each other.” Wessels said. “That’s all I want to do to help others and support them in their journey of growth. Even if it’s cosplay or not cosplay or if they just want to come chill and meet some new friends, we’re all very welcoming.”

Juno Robertson, vice president of the Cosplay Club and a graduate student in electrical and computer engineering, said she first thought she had to be someone studying clothing or textiles or something like that.

“That was a misconception I had, and I was shocked by how open and welcoming the community is,” Robertson said. “To me, as a trans person, before I joined this club and started getting involved, it was a completely foreign concept to me that anyone at all would accept you dressing as anything else, and this community has been so wonderful and amazing for that.”

Merrick Czaplewski, Cosplay Club’s public relations officer, added that he has also noticed some people think they have to be an art major or someone who deals a lot in the arts to be a cosplayer.

“My major is electrical engineering,” Czaplewski said. “We’re pretty far from the field of cosplay and the arts, but it’s something that we still enjoy and love. So you don’t have to be an artist or someone who focuses a lot on that to be a cosplayer.”

Cosplay Club members at Bass Pro Shops for Nebkon 2023. (Courtesy of Elli Allen)

Allen urged people not to be afraid to try new things and to let out their inner nerd.

“Because we’re all just a bunch of nerds, and we won’t judge you for it,” Allen said. “We really want to encourage a great atmosphere, creative environment and a welcoming community.”

Robertson said she wants to get her message across to transgender people who may be struggling with their presentation or self-image.

“Anybody who is struggling with their presentation and self-image, and this can be your excuse. It was my excuse for this. However you need to justify it to be like, ‘Oh, I’m just dressing up as a character I like. This is so freeing.’” Robertson said. “It is breaking out of who you are and being whoever, whatever you want to be. It’s a beautiful thing, and it’s a beautiful experience to go through, especially if you are in that position where you feel like you’re trapped in your own skin.”

Alyssa Beltman, social media chair of the Cosplay Club and a junior in integrated studio arts, said it is okay to be a nerd.

“I was really scared about telling people I cosplay due to the fact that I am very much neck-deep in the fine art world and high art,” Beltman said. “I was very scared that people were going to look down on me, that is, quote-unquote, low art, which people get so wrapped up in the philosophy of high, low art. But it’s really just finding what you’re inspired by, and it’s okay that you’re inspired by cosplay and nerd culture because nerd culture has some cool things in it.”

Czaplewski said not to be afraid of authenticity.

“As the great Master Oogway has said before, do not be afraid,” Czaplewski said. “Being yourself is much more fun and enjoyable than trying to be what everyone else wants you to be. At first glance, no one thinks I’m an electrical engineer. But I am very proud of who I am as a science nerd, as someone who enjoys technology but also anime, video games and all of the arts and all that fun stuff.”

Cosplay Club meets at 7 p.m. Mondays at the Student Innovation Center in room 2221. Those interested in joining can contact Stephanie Wessels at [email protected] with any questions.