Two first place finishes highlight Cyclones’ weekend in Miami

Sam Petri
Jason Gomez of Iowa State leads the pack during the men’s 600 yard race at the Cyclone Open event on Jan. 19, 2024.

The Cyclone track and field team continued its outdoor season and competed against tough competitors at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in Miami.

The Cyclones faced fierce competitors in all events but managed to hold their ground and have a strong performance.

Newfound success in the 800

The Cyclones destroyed the competition in both men’s and women’s 800-meter run.

In the women’s 800-meter run, Makayla Clark placed first overall with a time of 2:04.70, moving up from ninth to seventh in Iowa State history. Kaia Holtkamp followed close behind, placing fourth in the second heat with a new personal record (PR) time of 2:12.92 and finishing 12th overall.

Darius Kipyego placed first overall in the men’s 800-meter run with a time of 1:45.76, taking a whole second off his previous season’s best time in 2023. Shortly after in the same heat, Tyler Carreon placed fifth overall with a new PR of 1:48.83. James Olivier followed closely behind, placing eighth in the heat and 17th overall with a time of 1:54.63.

Cyclones start strong in the 100-meter dash

The Cyclones finished with impressive performances in both the men’s and women’s 100-meter dash.

In her first race of the season, Brooklyn Sandvig started strong in the women’s 100-meter dash, placing eighth overall with a time of 11.76, making her the seventh fastest in program history.

In the men’s 100-meter dash, Mikey McClain set a new PR with a time of 10.48, tying with the ninth-fastest performance in Iowa State history. McClain finished third in his heat and placed thirteenth overall

The Cyclones further progress in the discus throw

Facing tough competition in men’s and women’s discus throw, the Cyclones continued their success in both categories.

Kevin Sakson led the Cyclones in the men’s discus throw and placed second overall with a throw of 55.93 meters. Right behind Sakson was Cam Jones, who placed third overall with a new season-best throw of 54.56 meters.

In the women’s discus throw, Betty Rosvold placed second overall with a throw of 53.89 meters.