Arab Students Association, Arabic program to host first Arab Night since 2018

Courtesy of Ghinwa Alameen

Editor’s note: This article was updated to include the Arabic Program.

In celebration of Arab-American Heritage Month, the Arab Students Association (ASA), Arabic Program and Middle Eastern Studies Program are hosting Arab Night on Thursday from 5-8 p.m. on the first floor of the Student Innovation Center.

Attendees can expect “delicious Arab desserts, henna, hands-on Arab arts, bazaar sampling, sensory exhibits, a scavenger hunt and raffle, all in one incredible evening,” according to Ghinwa Alameen, adviser for ASA and an associate teaching professor of Arabic.

The event will also offer calligraphy demos done by professional calligrapher Ghazi Almishal, and attendees can visit learn-to-write Arabic stations. Attendees can also sample Arabic spices, oils and soaps at the bazaar. There will also be an opportunity to create mosaic art and lanterns at several crafting stations.

Alameen said this event will represent and showcase Arabic culture to people who may have not heard about Arab culture before and provide an opportunity for Arab students to reconnect.

Alameen said members of ASA are excited to hold the event again following a long COVID-19 hiatus.

“The last time we held it was 2018,” Alameen said. “It was a great event attended by more than 500 people, and it won the student event of the year award.”

The event is sponsored by the Department of World Languages and Cultures and is free to the public. More information can be found on the ASA Instagram page.