Cyclones fall at Big 12 Championships against BYU

Sam Petri
Isabella Dunlap stands at the read awaiting the Iowa player to serve during the Iowa State vs. Iowa match on Feb. 16, 2024 in Life Time gym in Urbandale, IA.

The No. 12-seeded Cyclones’ season ended Wednesday night in a 4-0 loss to No. 5-seeded BYU in the first round of the Big 12 Championships in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The loss gave Iowa State a 4-17 record and a 2-12 Big 12 Conference record, including the tournament matchup. BYU finished 2-0 against the Cyclones on the year, beating them 4-1 in the regular season and 4-0 Wednesday.

The Cyclones had no players in the third doubles spot, making the journey to getting the doubles point easier for the Cougars. The second doubles spot for Iowa State of Juliette Nask and Valeska San Martin Ramirez got swept 6-0, giving BYU a 2-0 lead with no sixth singles player for the Cyclones. Anna Supapitch Kuearum and Ashlee Narker were trailing 5-3 when their match went unfinished.

Iowa State needed a miracle in order to pull off a comeback heading into singles. Kuearum and Nask both lost in straight sets, giving BYU the sweep. Kuearum lost 6-4, 6-4, and Nask lost 6-0, 6-2. Narker looked to be on the way to a three-set victory, leading 4-6, 6-2, 4-0, before the match was called.

Gala Arangio was trailing 6-7 (10-12), 4-0 when the match was called in the second set. San Martin Ramirez was playing the opponent close 6-3, 4-5 when the match was called in the second set.

Isabella Dunlap graduating

The Iowa State tennis team does not anticipate much turnover this offseason, with Isabella Dunlap being the lone senior on the roster. Dunlap spent one year as a Cyclone.

Dunlap finished the year with a 3-12 singles record and a 5-7 doubles record. Dunlap’s senior season did not go as originally planned, getting hurt late in the year and being unable to play in the Big 12 Championships.

Young team, bright future

Iowa State featured three freshmen on the roster this year, and all three will play large roles on the team next year, assuming they do not transfer.

Arangio, Narker and San Martin Ramirez all bounced around the lineup and found success throughout the year. Narker surprised a lot of people, ending the season at the second singles spot with a 6-9 singles record.

Working out the kinks

Despite the season not going how the Cyclones had hoped, there is a lot to be excited about for the fans.

Narker showed strength, especially near the end of the year, proving to be a high-level player. Arangio started the season 0-8 but finished the season with a 4-3 record against conference opponents.

Lastly, Kuearum is primed for a strong senior season as a leader for Iowa State. If Kuearum gets 12 wins from first singles senior year, Kuearum will crack the top five for all-time first singles spot wins as a Cyclone.