Cyclones push to continue successful season at John McDonnell Invitational

Sam Petri
Iowa State shot-putter Blake Veenstra lines up to throw for 17.29m at the Cyclone Open track and field event in Leid Recreational center on Jan. 19, 2024.

The Cyclones head south to compete in the John McDonnell Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas, over the weekend.

Most of the Cyclones will be in Arkansas, but Gable Sieperda will be at the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Virginia.

A week ago, the Cyclones showed up and showed out. Cam Jones placed first overall in the men’s shot put with a throw of 20.05 meters and broke Iowa State’s 1981 shot put program record.

In the men’s hammer throw, Zach Verzani placed first overall with a throw of 61.60 meters, moving up to fifth in Iowa State history. In the women’s long jump, Amari Laing placed first overall with a distance of 5.68 meters.

The John McDonnell Invitational will put Iowa State up against teams that the Cyclones are familiar with. The Drake Bulldogs, who the Cyclones just competed against the previous weekend, will be at the invitational. So far this season, the Cyclones have fared well against the Bulldogs.

The Cyclones will also match back up with the host team the Arkansas Razorbacks. The Cyclones have yet to compete in Arkansas in the outdoor season, but went to Fayetteville on three different occasions in the indoor season.

The Razorbacks have spent most of the outdoor season being ranked in the top five. The Cyclones will have their work cut out for them over the weekend.

The John McDonnell Invitational runs through Friday in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Virginia Challenge will take place Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia.