Cyclones set multiple program records, Sieperda qualifies for Olympic Trials

Joseph Dicklin
Iowa State runner Gable Sieperda gives it his all to outrun Drake Universities Aziz Jdai during the men’s 1 mile event at the 2024 Cyclone Open on Jan. 19, 2024.

The Iowa State track and field team divided and conquered two invitationals, with most of the team competing at the John McDonnell Invite, while Gable Sieperda traveled to the Virginia Challenge.

The Cyclones achieved impressive results at both invitationals, and continued the success of their outdoor season. Each event saw Iowa State athletes break program records and top the leaderboards on the track and in the field events.

Rachel Joseph now holds three records

Rachel Joseph started the track and field indoor season on the right foot by breaking the 400-meter indoor record, and continued the success during the outdoor season by breaking two more records.

Joseph started strong with the 400-meter dash, placing second overall with an all-time program record time of 51.63, breaking the 1984 program record, and now has a top-15 time in the nation. Joseph now holds the indoor and outdoor 400-meter Iowa State school record.

Soon after, Joseph continued to achieve greatness during the women’s 200-meter dash, placing fifth overall with a time of 23.40, breaking the program record which was set in 2000.

Olympic time

Sieperda participated in the 3,000-meter steeplechase in the Virginia Challenge, finding outstanding results.

Sieperda placed fifth overall in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a new personal best time of 8:26.58, breaking the program record by five seconds, and ranking fourth in the nation. Sieperda’s time hits the automatic Olympic Trials qualifying standard.

Discus throw sweep

The Cyclones participated in the men’s and women’s discus throw and finished victorious in both categories.

In the women’s discus throw, Betty Rosvold placed first overall with a throw of 50.30 meters.
Shortly after, Kevin Sakson placed first overall in the men’s discus throw with a throw of 55.51 meters.