Cyclone men’s golf heads to Texas for Big 12 Championship

Tyler Coe
Luke Gutschewski reads his putt at the Hawkeye Invitational on Apr. 14, 2023.

The No. 11 seeded Cyclone men’s golf team will head to Trinity, Texas, for three days of competition during the Big 12 Men’s Golf Championship where play will open Monday and finish Wednesday.

The Cyclones opened their spring season back at the N.I.T. in Tucson, Arizona, and have competed in a total of six meets heading into the Big 12 Championship. The team finished 15th out of 18 teams at the N.I.T., falling behind fellow Big 12 competitors BYU and West Virginia.

The team then moved to their next meet, the Prestige at PGA West in February. They finished 23rd out of the 24 present teams, falling behind five Big 12 teams.

Iowa State then opened March at the Colleton River Collegiate, where the team finished 11th out of 14 teams. They were outperformed by the only other Big 12 team present, Kansas State.

March continued on with the All-American in Houston. The Cyclones pulled off a top-half finish, coming in ninth out of 20 teams.

The men’s golf team then came out strong to open the month of April, when they stormed to a third-place finish at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic. Notably, Cyclone golfer Luke Gutschewski finished second, with a score of 204.

The final meet prior to the Big 12 Championship ended in a big Cyclone victory with the team finishing first at the Tiger Collegiate in Columbia, Missouri. Gutschewski also earned third place during this meet.

The team will open play paired with No. 10 Kansas and No. 12 Cincinnati in both rounds one and two, occurring Monday. They will tee off at 8:20 a.m. Monday. Only the Wednesday leg of play will be broadcast via Big 12 Now on ESPN+.