Gubbels shows out at day one of the Drake Relays

Photo courtesy of Jeff Spaur, Iowa State Athletics
Sydney Willits competes in the long jump at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships on March 8, 2024. Photo courtesy of Jeff Spaur, Iowa State Ahtletics

The Cyclones kicked off one of their biggest meets of the season Wednesday in Des Moines, Iowa, at the Drake Relays. On day one of the relays, Iowa State had two athletes compete, both competing in the women’s heptathlon.

After day one, Kiersten Fisher sits at 22nd in the women’s heptathlon with a total of 1488.

In the 100-meter hurdles, Fisher placed fifth with a time of 14.13 seconds. In the high jump, Fisher did not post a score and therefore did not place, which was the same case in the 200-meter dash. In the shot put, Fisher placed 11th with a throw of 9.98 meters.

Kailynn Gubbels currently sits at No. 7 overall in the women’s heptathlon after one day of competition.

Gubbels started the day off strong placing 10th in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.91. The sophomore then finished fifth place in the high jump, completing the first five jumps before failing on the sixth.

In the shot put, Gubbels finished seventh with a throw of 10.95 meters. Lastly, in the 200-meter dash, Gubbels placed seventh with a time of 26 seconds.

The women’s heptathlon will continue Thursday, along with multiple other events that will include Cyclone athletes. The Drake Relays will start back up at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa.