Cyclone men’s golf finishes 12th at Big 12 Championship

Luke Lu (Iowa State Athletics)
Iowa State sophomore Lukas Pany prepares to hit a shot. (Courtesy of Iowa State Athletics)

Cyclone men’s golf teed off Monday morning, opening the three-day Big 12 Championship in Trinity, Texas, and finished 12th among the 14 conference teams.

The event began Monday morning with two rounds of play and concluded Wednesday. The team entered the event seeded as the No. 11 team in the Big 12.

Lukas Pany leads Cyclones after day one

After one full day of play, the Cyclones finished in 11th place. The team was paired with No. 10 Kansas and No. 12 Cincinnati. Iowa State ended day one 14-over par, and two full strokes behind the three-way tie for eighth place between Kansas, Kansas State and West Virginia.

Additionally, the top-10 individuals found themselves in close quarters, with 11 golfers in total tied for the top-10 positions. Iowa State’s Lukas Pany found himself tied for ninth with two other golfers, all holding scores of 144, exactly at par.

Iowa State slips to 12th to end day two

The competition then picked up again Tuesday morning as the Cyclones opened the day paired with Kansas yet again, as well as West Virginia.

Iowa State’s slide down the standings saw the differential between itself and the teams ahead of it widen. The team finished the day with a total score of 885, moving to 21-over par.

While the team slipped the standings, Cyclone individuals also fell down the leaderboard. Pany finished the day with a score of 218, two-over par, putting him in a six-way tie for 19th place. The next closest Cyclone was Paul Beauvy, who finished in a tie for 30th place.

Cyclones slide again to close out play

To open the final day of competition, the Cyclones were paired up with No. 13 UCF and No. 14 TCU. Much like Tuesday, the day consisted of a singular round.

The Cyclones earned a fourth-round score of 306, the highest of their four-round scores. This gave them a final score of 1191, 39-over par.

Of the five Cyclone golfers, three finished in the top-50, with Pany tied for 31st, Beauvy tied for 43rd, and Luke Gutschewski tied for 50th.