Student Government fulfills campaign promise with debut of ‘CyDay Friday’

Sarah Henry/Iowa State Daily

Campustown Spirit, located on Lincoln Way, sells Cyclone game day apparel and spirit wear. 

Willa Colville

During the Student Government presidential campaign, Julian Neely and Juan Bibiloni made many promises. Among them was the “CyDay Friday” initiative, which will make its debut this Friday.

The aim of “CyDay Friday” is to make Cyclone gear more accesible to fans at discount prices and to get students engaged with their university and school spirit. 

“We want to expand the sales of the bookstore and expand that to the Iowa State merchandising stores in Ames such as Dogtown and Barefoot…on one specific Friday of the year…to have this big discount for students to be able to purchase and also rock out their Iowa State [gear],” Neely said at a February debate.

As Neely promised, four clothing stores in Ames will participate in “CyDay Friday”  in addition to the University Bookstore. Among the participating businesses is Barefoot Campus Outfitter, which will provide a special offer for students who spend at least $100 at their store.

“We are doing a free t-shirt when you spend $100,” Jacky Perry, manager of Barefoot Campus Outfitter,  said. “The shirts are actually supposed to say ‘CyDay Friday’ on them and they’ll be really cute.”

Other stores participating include Campustown Spirit, Dogtown University and Intensitee Campus Clothing. Students may go to any of the participating businesses and receive special discounts by showing their student ID.

Currently, the University Bookstore already offers their own “CyDay Friday” deals each week. During the presidential campaign, officials met with Neely and Bibiloni to discuss their idea. 

Gayle Mastbergen, assistant manager of marketing for the University Bookstore, said she worked with the pair to create this special day for students.

“We had met just to discuss the idea and we started working with the university trademark office, who already had a CyDay Friday event,” Mastbergen said. “We wanted to make this extra special for the students so [Neely] and [Bibiloni] came up with the idea of a special day where the students could get an extra discount.”

Mastbergen also highlighted the Ames businesses taking part in the event, and hopes they continue participation in the future.

“I thinks it’s a great opportunity to engage with the students. We are all in Ames and we are all Iowa State fans so it’s a great opportunity not only for students but for the businesses involved,” Mastbergen said.

The Bookstore will be offering $5 deals that include select Iowa State hats, merchandise and “Beat Iowa” shirts just in time for the Cy-Hawk football showdown this weekend.