Preview: Student Government to look at $30,000 in funding requests

Speaker Cody Woodruff touches on concerns with the resolution denouncing Iowa State University’s Trademark Policy at the Student Government meeting on Aug. 30.

Jill Alt

Funding for campus organizations and a meeting with Director of Student Wellness, Mark Rowe-Barth, is some of what Student Government will discuss as they reconvene for their weekly meeting in the Memorial Union, Wednesday at 7 p.m. 

The Rodeo Club is requesting approximately $8,500 from Student Government for costs of the 56th annual Cyclone Stampede — Iowa State’s yearly rodeo. Costs related to the event include paying the rodeo company, ambulance fees and insurance costs to the university. 

Rowe-Barth, who recently spearheaded an effort to attain the Garrett Lee Smith Suicide Prevention Grant —which Iowa State will be awarded this fall— will discuss the “Be Well” Initiative with Student Government at their meeting.

Multiple requests for funding from Student Government are on the agenda with approximately $10,000 for activities under general orders, and almost double that amount for new business. 

Other information that will be discussed includes the annual African Student Association’s African Night, the attendance fees for the Pride Alliance to attend a conference in Kansas, The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and Latinos in Science and Engineering (SHPE-MAES) to go to a national conference in Cleveland and funding the National Society of Black Engineers to attend a regional conference. 

Looking forward, Student Government’s new business includes a request from Ethos magazine for more than $10,000 to pay production costs of their publications throughout the year in order to make them free to students, as well as minor costs for flyers, other promotions and webspace payments. 

Additionally, on the agenda there is three special orders: a proclamation of gratitude to professors who use open educational resources, seating at-large members Anthony Tonet and Kaitlyn Roling and Senators Sandeep Stanley and Noah Heasley to the University Affairs Committee.