Multicultural Liaison Officers host two day pop up shop

Josey Jacobsen

Free business attire was available to students through a pop-up shop held in the Multicultural Center at the Memorial Union.

The pop-up shop was a two day event held by the Multicultural Liaison Officers of Iowa State’s undergraduate colleges. The shop was filled with new and gently used articles of clothing that were donated by Iowa State faculty across campus.

The event was free and open to students of all majors and classifications with no questions asked. The purpose of the shop is to help students who are in need of clothing for career fairs and interviews.

“Our goal is to eliminate a barrier for some of our students by providing outfits for professional opportunities that they have,” said Carmen Flagge, Multicultural Liaison Officer for the College of Human Sciences. 

The first day the event was held on Tuesday, Sept. 11 from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. There was an estimated 90+ students who came through over the two and a half hours, Flagge said.

On Wednesday there was also a large amount of students at the start of the event. Volunteers helped style students and give advice on their already chosen outfits.

Students at the event could pick out clothing and accessories including shoes, bags and jewelry.

Yan Chan, a senior in interdisciplinary design, who attended the event said “I think it’s super helpful for students who are in need of business clothes because it (attire) is such an important factor with the career fairs coming up.”

The first pop-up shop was held last spring with a turnout of an estimated 70 students, Flagge said. This is the second year that the event has been held.

“It seems like there is a need there, students seem to be pretty grateful,” Flagge said.