NOTEBOOK: Cy-Hawk depth chart rundown

The Iowa State football teams runs onto the field to start their opening game against South Dakota State at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 1.

Noah Rohlfing

The Cyclones released their week two depth chart ahead of the Iowa game this Saturday. Here are some takeaways from the Monday release.

Kamilo Tongamoa missing from depth chart

After his suspension for the canceled game against South Dakota State, Tongamoa failed to get back into the Cyclones’ two-deep depth chart. He was listed in July with redshirt freshman Angel Dominguez as the backup defensive tackle.

Tongamoa played sparingly last season but, while he was listed as a backup before his suspension, there were some expectations for the redshirt senior to break out and play a role in a defensive line stacked with talent. Redshirt junior Ray Lima is listed as the starter at nose tackle while junior Jamahl Johnson holds down the other interior line spot when the Cyclones roll out a four-lineman defense.

The Cyclones featured just three down linemen to start the game against South Dakota State, utilizing an extra defensive back against a potent Jackrabbits’ passing attack. 

However, it seems as though Tongamoa has slipped in the standing of Campbell and defensive coordinator Jon Heacock.

Lots of “or” to be found

Campbell said that there were multiple position battles that would need to be decided during the season, including the starting kicker and Mike linebacker jobs.

Apparently, those battles are still going on. 

Despite true freshman Mike Rose getting the start against South Dakota State in the Cyclones’ one and only defensive possession, he is listed as a possible co-starter alongside redshirt junior Bobby McMillen III and redshirt freshman O’Rien Vance.

After starting in week one, Rose is the favorite to start against Iowa, but it might not be certain until the Cyclones take the field in Iowa City, Iowa. 

The same thing can be said for redshirt sophomore placekicker Connor Assalley. Not mentioned as part of the competition during spring practice, Assalley was the placekicker for Iowa State’s extra point against the Jackrabbits, while redshirt senior Chris Francis took the kickoff duties.

Freshman Brayden Narveson is still part of the competition, at least according to the depth chart, so while Assalley and Francis have a handle on the position for the moment, there is a small element of doubt until Campbell flat-out says who will win the job. 

The battles continue.

Soehner new backup for ‘F’ position

Last week, The ‘F’ position was only occupied by one man: redshirt senior Sam Seonbuchner, who held the position for most of last year and is deployed heavily in run-blocking situations.

This week, a new name was added: backup tight end and redshirt sophomore Dylan Soehner. Soehner, a 6-foot-7, 271-pound player, has the size and physicality that the Cyclones are looking for in that role.

He might not see the field that much, as the Cyclones don’t generally use 2-tight-end sets, but the ‘F’ position presents a chance for Soehner to make a big impact run-blocking the rest of the season in relief of Seonbuchner.

Soehner is listed as a possible starter at tight end.