Editorial: What will help students feel safe on Central Campus?

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Snowflakes line the streets of downtown Ames this holiday season. 

Any student taking a walk through Central Campus late at night may notice how dark it is. This could pose multiple safety concerns, from crime to tripping hazards, as well as just a general feeling of uneasiness due to being surrounded by darkness. 

But this lack of lighting may be done intentionally.

In 1999, the American Society of Landscape Architects honored Iowa State’s Central Campus for having one of the best known landscapes in the nation. If lights were added to the landscape, it could take away some of the beauty.

Imagine Old Faithful with a street light next to it or Mount Rushmore covered with aircraft warning lights. Everything is in its place (or not) for a reason.

Yet, here is the problem: there is not a lot of research stating that increased lighting reduces crime. At best, the results are mixed. A 2015 study found that increased lighting in England and Wales found little to no effect on the crime rate. So putting lights up on campus may decrease the landscape appeal for no reason and serve as a potential waste of money, time and beauty.

But while the correlation of crime and lighting may not raise an issue, the concern that students feel uneasy while making the journey across campus remains valid. 

So where is the balance between safety and scenery? 

As of now, the only part of Central Campus not lit at all is the sidewalk connecting Curtiss and Beardshear Hall. The area surrounding this space has lighting in some form. A potential compromise to this would be small sidewalk lights or using glow-in-the-dark concrete — something to illuminate paths but not take away from the beauty of central campus.

Another potential solution is to add infrared cameras on surrounding buildings as it may help reduce potential crime.

Nonetheless, lighting on campus has been an issue that has persisted through generations of students at Iowa State. If one feels passionately about it, they should contact their Student Government senator or Iowa State Facilities Planning and Management directly. 

In the end, something should be done to increase student safety and sense of well-being — especially at night — on Central Campus. But lights may not be the answer.

Even though putting more lights up may not have a direct correlation in decreasing crime, they will make those who walk around campus at night feel safer. In the end, do students care more about the aesthetic of campus or feeling a little more safe while walking around in the dark?