Female students reflect on personal safety in the aftermath of student death

Members of the Iowa State community mourn Celia Barquín Arozamena during a candlelight vigil held in her honor on the north side of the Campanile Sept 19. 

Madelyn Ostendorf

In the aftermath of the death of Iowa State student Celia Barquín Arozamena, Iowa State students have been taking a much more serious look at how they keep themselves safe. Below female students reflect on their own safety.

Angela Merrick, the executive director of the YWCA in Ames, said she has seen many students with similar concerns about personal safety.

“I think we can all agree that women should not have to live in fear because there are people out there who ‘have urges to rape and kill a woman,’” Merrick said. “Which was what the accused was reported to have said to his friend days before this vicious crime.

“But the great thing about Ames, Iowa is we are a very tight-knit community that cares a tremendous amount. We all need to look out for each other – emotionally and physically – and know that there are several places you can turn to if you do not feel safe, or you need to talk. The YWCA, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, ACCESS, Ames police, and ISU PD….we are all here for you.” Barqu

Resource List:

Student Counseling Services: 515-294-5056

Iowa State Police Department (non emergency): 515-294-4428

Ames Police Department (non emergency): 515-239-5133

Margaret Sloss Women’s Center: 515-294-4154

YWCA of Ames: 515-294-0043