Editorial: Iowa State should adopt bike policies to ensure pedestrian-friendly campus

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Students walk and bike to class Wed. afternoon. Wed. served as a typical Iowa fall day; it rained in the morning, and was sunny by the afternoon. 

Busses, long boarding, biking, scootering, rollerblading.

If there’s a way to get from point A to point B, you can be sure there will be at least one student on campus using it to get to class.

Though Iowa State credits itself as a pedestrian-friendly campus, only so many people can use a sidewalk at once.

This can pose dangers to those who choose to walk around campus, especially when bikes are involved.

In October of last year, the city of Ames unveiled new biking lanes and bike boxes on Clark Avenue. These new road features hoped to improve biker safety and traffic flow.

When classes resumed this fall, new bike lanes were found on Union Drive by Lake Laverne.

Bike lanes can also be found in select spots around campus, specifically on the south end of Union Drive, Morrill Road and Osborn Drive. Yet, often times the biggest problem with bikes is on sidewalks within campus, away from roads.

Around the country, the average sidewalk is 48-inches wide. This is plenty of room for people to walk in opposite directions.

However, the average bike width is 30-inches wide at the handlebars. Then, add the fact that bikes are often moving much faster than people walking. It’s a problem waiting to happen.

As of now, there are no policies regulating the operation of bikes on campus. Per the Iowa State Parking Division, the only regulations that affect bikes relate to parking and reporting stolen bikes.

Though there are busses, students making cross-campus treks may find bikes necessary. So where’s the happy medium?

Having an official policy would be a good start. The University of Iowa uses the official DOT biking rules, but also has a policy of their own.

One part states: “When passing pedestrians in either direction, cyclists must maintain a minimum of 6 feet (about one bicycle length) of separation without leaving the walkway. If unable to maintain the minimum separation when passing, the cyclist must operate at a speed just above the average walking pace (about one bicycle length per second) while passing.”

Failure to abide by this policy may result in a $25 fine. Now, is this small fine enough to deter all “crazy” bikers? No. But Iowa State currently has nothing.

Anything would be a step in the right direction, especially for those who are too tired of dealing with bikes zipping around them at unsafe distances and speeds.