Recreation fields southeast of campus seeking approval for $10 million renovation project

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Location for one of the intramural fields.

Mia Wang

Iowa State is seeking approval of a $10 million project to renovate the recreation fields southeast of campus near University Boulevard.

If approved by the Iowa Board of Regents on Sept. 13, the 39.7-acre field would be turned into multiple flag football fields, six softball fields, eight sand volleyball courts, 659 parking spaces, a service building and a maintenance building.

The project aims to support the university’s growing student population, help meet a heightened demand for campus facilities as well as accommodate the needs of various sports teams and provide lighted areas for night-time activities and would be funded by Recreation Services. 

“Once the project is finished, students can play their sports from [when it gets] dark to midnight, and they will have more spaces, more convenient time and better quality fields,” Garry Greenlee, associate director of Recreation Services, said.

However, more than intramural teams would benefit from the field renovation. Different students groups, too, would be able to expand their use of the field, said intramural assistant director Russ Jones.

“The intramural sports program has 200 ultimate Frisbee teams, 400 flag football teams, 200 softball teams and 300 soccer teams. Those will be the heavy users,” Jones said. “Other student organization’s activities, like sports clubs, Greek Week, Engineering Week, can also play their sports and have their events in the [recreation] fields.”

The two are “fairly confident” that the project will be approved. According to the proposal, the field renovations would also “assist in greeting visitors to the Iowa State University campus.”

If approved, the project will be finalized in fall 2018 and will receive bids in winter 2018. The construction for the field will start early 2019 and end in summer 2020. 

Editor’s Note: The article originally said Iowa State was seeking funding for the project when Iowa State actually has the funding secured but is seeking permission from the Board of Regents to start the project. The Daily regrets this error.