Football: four freshmen suspended

Jack MacDonald/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State football head coach Matt Campbell accepts the Cyclones’ bid to attend the AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee. Iowa State will square off against the Memphis Tigers on Saturday, December 30 at 11:30 a.m.

Aaron Marner

Coach Matt Campbell announced four freshmen are suspended indefinitely from football activity. The announcement comes one week ahead of Iowa State’s first football game of the year.

“Four freshmen – Tayvonn Kyle, Jaeveyon Morton, Joseph Scates and Dallas Taylor-Cortez – have been suspended indefinitely from our football team for multiple incidents of poor choices and behavior,” Campbell said in a press release. “We have worked diligently to develop a culture of accountability in our program and these young men have failed to live up to those expectations.”

All four are true freshmen. Iowa State does not provide media access to its true freshmen football players.

“The players will not have any involvement with team activities nor access to our facilities while suspended,” Campbell said in the press release. “They will, however, have access to our academic facilities with the accompanying expectations of any student-athlete in our program.

I would emphasize that these suspensions are not related to any one incident but rather a pattern of conduct that will not be tolerated within our Iowa State football program.”

Kyle and Scates are wide receivers on the team while Taylor-Cortez and Morton are listed as defensive backs. None of the four were listed on Iowa State’s most recent depth chart.