Editorial: We’re ready to listen

A free press is fundamental to a functioning democracy, so much so that it is even written into the U.S. Constitution.

Yet it is under attack, constantly.

Trust in journalism is at an all-time low, and it’s growing more and more politically divisive. According to the Pew Research Center, Democrats are 47 points more likely than Republicans to support the news media. 

And as a whole, according to a recent Gallup report, Americans are more likely to say the media’s watchdog role — which eight in 10 perceive as critical — is still performed poorly.

So why this gap? How can our role be considered of the upmost importance and yet the results of our work is consistently not meeting the approval of the American public?

The answer isn’t simple and it cannot be made in isolation. It takes you, our readership, to actively work together and help us find a middle-ground. 

On Thursday, the Iowa State Daily joins a coordinated effort by more than 200 newsrooms across the nation to address the harmful and distractive rhetoric by President Donald Trump that we, journalists, are the “enemy of the people.”

While we understand that this is far from the truth, that’s not what is important.

We need you, our readership, to not buy into using “fake news” as colloquial terminology. We need you, our readership, to understand how fundamental you are to our coverage. We need you, our readership, to understand that the Iowa State Daily wants to serve you. We need you, our readership, to recognize that we cannot exist, nor function, without your support. 

At the same time, we understand your distrust. We have made mistakes in our coverage in the past, and the sad truth is that we will continue to do so. But when we do, please tell us. We cannot grow as an institution if we are unaware of our wrongdoings. 

And we’re ready to listen.

We recognize that oftentimes our reporting can feel invasive, like when we report on crime and death. It can feel divisive, like when we report on politics and controversial campus issues. It can also feel overwhelming and constant, the need for a 24/7-hour news cycle never allowing for a break in coverage. 

But our role is critical, both at an institutional and industry level.

In 2016, the Iowa State Daily won Best All-Around Student Newspaper by the Society of Professional Journalists. We recognize that an award of such prestige would not have been made possible without your trust as a community to allow us to share your stories.

As we, journalists and readers, continue to navigate this changing media climate together, know this: We are not your enemy, nor your foe.