Delta Chi under interim suspension following a backyard fire that got out of control

Courtesy of Iowa State

Delta Chi’s Fraternity at Iowa State.

Talon Delaney

The Delta Chi fraternity at Iowa State is facing interim suspension after a bonfire grew out of control just days before their lease was to close.

The suspension was enacted July 30, eight days after the blaze. The property owners, RentAmes, stated property damage did occur after fraternity members used furniture as kindling.

Ames police department issued two citations for open burning. One of the citations has been dismissed since the fire while another citation, given to former Iowa State student Anthony Chavez, has not be dismissed. Chavez was not immediately available for comment.

Open burning is a city offense subject to a $135 if the accused is found guilty.

RentAmes rented the apartment building, located at the corner of Knapp Street and Welch Avenue, to Delta Chi for three years. After several alcohol-related incidents occured, RentAmes decided they would not allow Delta Chi to renew their lease.

RentAmes declined to comment how much damage the fire caused to their property, but stated that they will no longer be renting to fraternities or sororities.

During the interim suspension, Delta Chi will lose its organizational privileges, according to the Iowa State student conduct website.

The website states the Dean of Students can order a fraternity be “immediately denied university privileges and be excluded from activities on the campus” when the “organization’s continued presence on the campus creates a continuing danger to persons or property”

Iowa State Student Conduct officials were not available for further comments.

Delta Chi officials were also unavailable for comment, but Marquez Brown, interim executive director for Delta Chi, issued a statement describing that the students responsible for the fire defied the fraternity’s risk management policy.

The statement also said the students violated one of Delta Chi’s “eleven basic expectations.” Specifically, they violated one which states, “I will respect my property and the property of others; therefore, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property and I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.”

Editors Note: This article previously identified Bailey Collins, a sophomore in industrial technology, as one of the two issued a citation. While Collins was issued the citation, it has since been dismissed.