LGBTQIA+ Community Welcome featured speed mingling, human bingo and more

Iowa State students, faculty and community members meet Aug. 21, 2018, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to show off their pride during the LGBTQIA+ Welcome.

Logan Metzger

Students and community members came together in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to socialize and participate in a variety of activities during the LGBTQIA+ Community Welcome event Tuesday.

The LGBTQIA+ Community Welcome is an annual event hosted by The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion for students to meet new and returning students and community members.

Last year, around 425 to 450 attended according to Brad Freihoefer, the director of The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success. But, Freihoefer said this year would possibly surpass previous years.

“I feel like this is truly the one night of the year at Iowa State that everyone shows up to,” said Clare Lemke, assistant director of The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success. “Everyone connected to student [organizations], everyone who is not connected to a student [organization], faculty and staff, community members, [alumni]. It’s kind of a chance to all come together and connect.”

At the beginning of the night, attendees were greeted by volunteers. They could pick up a name tag and a pronoun button from the front table, or receive a hug from one of the volunteers wearing a “Free Mom Hug” button, before heading into the main area.

One of the greeters, Alissa Stoehr, a lecturer in the sociology department, said this event is a great place for students to find their community.

Freihoefer also spoke about the importance of the event.

“I think it is very important for students to see other LGBTQIA+ students on campus, otherwise it can feel very isolating if you may not see others or know that the community is quite large,” Freihoefer said.

Students could participate in a wide range of activities including human bingo, dancing, board games and a gallery walk.

During the gallery walk, students could write and answer a variety of questions posted on one of the walls in the room.

Some of the questions included, “What do you need to feel supported?,” “What’s your favorite way to connect with people?,” “Where are the LGBTQIA+ inclusive places/spaces on campus or in Ames?” and “Who are your LGBTQIA+ sheroes, heroes, idols, and faves?”

The posters were full of answers before the night was over.

Along with activities, several students said socializing with their peers and community was their favorite part of the night.

“I’d say socializing is my favorite thing, I like to meet new people, meet new friends,” said Cameron Albus, freshman in biology.

Lemke said this event took a lot of planning that included an abundance of volunteer help, such as greeting, planning and setting up the event.

“We always say our goal is for you to come to this event, but you don’t leave without meeting someone new,” Lemke said.