Editorial: Media’s numbness to death

As most of you know, there was a tragic shooting in Jacksonville, Florida, on Sunday. This shooting occurred at the outdoor mall during a gaming tournament. It was very public and traumatic for many families.

David Katz targeted Madden NFL video game players in the tournament at the downtown shopping complex, the Jacksonville Landing. According to Alexander Madunic, Katz had lost a game in the tournament earlier that day. However, Katz legally purchased a 9mm handgun and a .45-caliber handgun in the last month.

Katz shot and killed two people, one was the winner of last year’s Madden Classic competition and the other was a former high school football player who won a lot of money playing a video game. After shooting the people in the arena, police say Katz killed himself with his own gun.

High school friends told CNN Katz was antisocial and kept to himself. Most of them only had a few conversations with him during their time at Hammond High School in Columbia, Maryland.

However, the shooter’s family later disclosed that he struggled with mental illness. His family went through many psychiatrists. His family called the police 26 times between 1993 and 2009. However, none of these calls had any physical violence.

The record shows Katz was prescribed with drugs from antidepressants to schizophrenia medicine.

A few days after the shooting occurred, EA donated $1 million to victims and their families.

As much coverage as there was, there seems to be a longer lasting coverage for other traumatic happenings, such as Mollie Tibbetts death. Many people at Iowa State don’t know the details of what went on with the Jacksonville shooting, but everyone knows about Tibbetts.

Yes, Tibbetts is from Iowa and Jacksonville is in Florida. But both cases took human lives in awful ways. National media should have done more to make the details of the Jacksonville shooting more prominent rather than brushing them under the rug.

There are Iowa State students who are from all over the country. They deserve to know all the details of things that happen to their state.