The month ahead in diversity

Performer known as “Iona Fortune Sanchez” lipsanc and danced to You Don’t Make Me High Anymore during the Spring Drag Show at the Memorial Union on March 30th. During the performance, the audience came up to give money to the performer, which was often used as another prop itself. 

Caitlin Yamada

Learn about the variety of diversity events taking place on campus in August and September:

Tuesday, Aug. 21

Event: LGBTQIA+ Community Welcome

Place and time: Great Hall, Memorial Union, 6 to 9 p.m.

Description: “The LGBTQIA+ Community Welcome is the premier welcome event providing an introduction and welcome to the LGBTQIA+ community at Iowa State University.”

Friday, Aug. 24

Event: Celebration: Women’s Equality Day

Place and time: Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Description: “Story County residents can register to vote (free cookies, brownies and lemonade for those who do). All are welcome to learn more about programs offered by the Catt Center, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center and the League of Women Voters of Ames and Story County.”

Wednesday, Aug. 29

Event: Live Your Truth: A Queer and Trans People of Color Party

Place and time: Cardinal Room, Memorial Union, 5 to 7 p.m.

Description: “Live Your Truth is a party for queer and trans people of color! Find your inner diva at karaoke, meet folks, and enjoy some snacks. Where are queer and trans people of color at Iowa State? They’re here!”

Tuesday, Sept. 4

Event: Reception: “Unpacked: Refugee Baggage” exhibit

Place and time: Christian Petersen Art Museum, 4:30 to 6 p.m.

Description: “Join us for a reception in the newly installed exhibition “Unpacked: Refugee Baggage” currently on view in the Christian Petersen Art Museum. Brief remarks by the artist, who received a BArch in Architecture from ISU in 2009, and University Museums Assistant Curator Adrienne Gennett will begin at 5:15 p.m.”

Wednesday, Sept. 5

Event: Lecture: The Art of Mindfulness- Romapada Swami

Place and time: Cardinal Room, Memorial Union, 6 p.m.

Description: “Romapada Swami is a Vaishnava monk, a scholar on Eastern (Vedic) thought and philosophy, and a highly respected spiritual leader with the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.”

Wednesday, Sept. 5

Event: Lecture: Refugee Stories: The Art of Mohamad Hafez

Place and time: Sun Room, Memorial Union, 8 p.m.

Description: “Mohamad Hafez came to the United States to study architecture at Iowa State University and was unable to return to his beloved Syria. He will speak about his art, his story, and the stories he visually recreates of refugees from around the world.The exhibition Unpacked: Refugee Baggage is in the Christian Petersen Art Museum, Morrill Hall, September 4-October 19.”

Monday, Sept. 10

Event: Lecture: Called to Lives of Meaning and Purpose: A New Approach to Vocation

Place and time: Sun Room, Memorial Union, 7 p.m.

Description: “Kathleen A. Cahalan is Professor of Theology at Saint John’s University School of Theology and Seminary and Director of the Collegeville Institute Seminars.”

Monday, Sept. 17

Event: Lecture: Latina Memories: A Chilean Human Rights Perspective- Marjorie Agosín

Description: “Marjorie Agosín is an author, poet, and human rights activist known for her outspokenness for women’s rights in Chile.”

Tuesday Sept. 18

Event: Inclusive Classroom Workshop

Place and time: 2030 Morrill Hall, 2:10 to 5 p.m.

Description: “Today’s university classrooms are more diverse than in the past. With this diversity of students comes the need to ensure the learning environments associated with courses are inclusive and designed to support all students. This workshop includes pre-workshop online learning modules and an interactive face-to-face workshop focused on creating an inclusive classroom environment.”

Monday Sept. 24

Event: Stone Mandalas Walk-in Craft

Place and time: The Workspace at the Memorial Union, 2 to 8 p.m.

Description: ”Mandalas are created with geometric shapes and curvilinear lines, and often incorporate ancient spiritual symbols that are significant in Hinduism and Buddhism. Stop by The Workspace to make a painted stone mandala, and keep it as a talisman for yourself, or give it to someone as a small but special gift.”

Price: $2

Monday, Sept. 24

Event: The Symbolism of the Sand Mandala- Monks of the Drepung Loseling Monastery

Description: “Monks from the the Drepung Loseling Monastery will create a mandala sand painting in the lobby of the Memorial Union Monday, September 24 through Friday, September 28. The process consists of opening ceremony with chants, music and mantra recitation and ends with the dismantling of the mandala and dispersal of the sand. Millions of grains of sand are poured from traditional metal funnels called chakpur to create a finished mandala…”

Tuesday, Sept. 25

Event: Lecture: Mental Illness, Tragedy and Transformation: The Mark Becker Story

Place and Time: Great Hall, Memorial Union, 7 p.m.

Description: “Joan and Dave Becker share their family’s story about their son, Mark, and the experience they had coping with his paranoid schizophrenia. Joan Becker’s book, Sentenced to Life, shares how their personal family experience served as the catalyst for her to become an advocate and public speaker for individuals with mental illness.”

Tuesday, Sept. 25

Event: Mandala Drawing Workshop

Place and time: The Workspace at the Memorial Union, 7 to 9:30 p.m.

Description: “Learn how to break down the elements of mandalas and use repetition of shapes and lines to create a balanced sphere. Drawing mandalas can be meditative, and is a great way to relieve stress and clear your mind.”

Price: $20 ISU and $30 Public

Wednesday, Sept. 26

Event: Embroidered Mandalas Workshop

Place and time: The Workspace at the Memorial Union, 6 to 9 p.m.

Description: “Mandalas are created with geometric shapes and curvilinear lines, and often incorporate ancient spiritual symbols that are significant in Hinduism and Buddhism. These intricate designs transfer beautifully into stitches on fabric! Judy will show you a variety of embroidery stitches with time to practice.”

Price: $21 ISU and $31 Public

Thursday, Sept. 27

Event: Lecture: Pease Family Scholar in Kinesiology

Description: “James Rimmer has been developing and directing physical activity and health promotion programs for people with disabilities for more than 30 years. He is the inaugural Lakeshore Foundation Endowed Chair in Health Promotion and Rehabilitation Sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.”

Friday, Sept. 28

Event: Mystical Arts of Tibet

Place and time: The M-Shop, Memorial Union, 12 to 12:45 p.m.

Description: “Mystical Arts of Tibet – Tibetan Monk Mandala Sand Painting Closing Ceremony”

Friday, Sept. 28

Event: Paint Your Own Pottery: Mandalas

Place and time: The Workspace at the Memorial Union, 4 to 8 p.m.

Description: “Paint pots for your succulents or use our handy tutorials to draw cacti and other plants on any bisque you choose. A variety of succulents will be available for purchase.”

Price: $4 ISU and $5 public plus the cost of bisque selected

Friday, Sept. 28

Event: War, the Refugee Crisis, and the Global Response

Place and time: Christian Petersen Art Museum, 1017 Morrill Hall, 4 to 5 p.m.

Description: “More than 65 million people are displaced from their homes as a result of wars, persecution, or severe economic difficulties. Figuring out how to respond to this many displaced people and the problems that forced them from their homes is a daunting task. Join Nell Gabiam, associate professor in World Languages and Cultures and Political Science, in the exhibition Unpacked: Refugee Baggage to discuss the response to this global crisis.”

Friday, Sept. 28

Event: Yellow Rose Drag Show

Place and time: Memorial Union, Great Hall, 7 to 10:30 p.m.

Description: “The Brothers of Delta Lambda Phi at Iowa State University invite you to join us in kicking off Ames Pridefest with our third annual YELLOW ROSE DRAG SHOW!! Get hyped for a show hosted by a local drag queen that will feature the most sickening amateur performers the Midwest has to offer. There will be a photo booth, a presentation showcasing The Trevor Project, and some good old D-R-A-G. All proceeds benefit The Trevor Project. Guests are encouraged to bring cash to tip the performers. We’ll be able to make change for large bills, and merchandise will be available for purchase.”

Price: $7 pre-sale and day of