10 spots for an Ames spring break staycation 

Courtesy of Anthony Tran on Unsplash

Staying in Ames for spring break doesn’t mean you can’t take a break and have fun!

Paige Mountain

Stuck in Ames for spring break? Try out these tips on how to have an enjoyable staycation right here in Ames.

Check out some local coffee shops

Ames is home to many local coffee shops. Check out one (or many) this spring break for an early morning wake up or afternoon pick-me-up.

Cafe Diem:

Venture over to downtown Ames and try some coffee from Cafe Diem. Along with coffee-based drinks, Cafe Diem also has a food menu and a variety of pastries.

Morning Bell Coffee Roasters

Morning Bell Coffee Roasters is another must try coffee shop located in downtown Ames.

The minimalist, modern feel makes Morning Bell the perfect spot to catch up with friends over break. Once you are done with your coffee, you can even make your way over to Back Alley Houseplants, which is located right next door. In addition to handcrafted drinks, Morning Bell also sells their fresh roasted coffee in store, and it’s available to be shipped.

Stomping Grounds

Located right on Welch Avenue, Stomping Grounds is a convenient spot for students living close to campus. Stomping Grounds has a large variety of coffee drinks, and also a full food menu—making it a great brunch spot to try out this spring break.

Clouds

Looking for great vibes and great coffee? Then you need to check out Clouds. 

Clouds is located at the very top of Legacy Tower. The cafe is covered in floor to ceiling windows, giving you a full view of campus. What’s better than coffee and a view?

Cafe Milo

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of campus town, check out Cafe Milo. Located in West Ames, Cafe Milo is home to specialty coffee drinks as well as a breakfast and lunch menu.

Go thrifting

Thrifting is an easy and fun way to kill time over spring break, especially with the large selection of thrift and secondhand stores Ames has to offer.

When it’s time to conquer your spring break shopping fix—check out these stores.

Overflow Thrift Store

Overflow is a local thrift store with two Ames locations. No matter what you are shopping for, Overflow has a large assortment of goods to satisfy your needs.

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Family Store is a huge thrift store located on Lincoln Way. With their large location, Salvation Army houses a lot of inventory. You can definitely spend a lot of time here trying to get the best finds—so save it for a day where you don’t have a lot of other plans.

Take in Nature

Reiman Gardens

Nothing encapsulates spring more than blooming flowers. So, what better place to spend some time over spring break than Reiman Gardens? Reiman Gardens houses 17 acres of gardens, a butterfly house and more. As an added bonus—Iowa State students get in for free!

Reiman Gardens is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Ada Hayden Park

Bask in the spring weather by taking a stroll at Ada Hayden Park. Situated around a lake, this park has incredible views from every angle. The park offers multiple trails perfect for walking, running or biking.

Do a wine tasting (21+)

If you and your friends are all stuck in Ames for break, take a group outing to Prairie Moon Winery for a wine tasting.

Prairie Moon Winery is a beautiful winery located right here in Ames. With a wine tasting room where you and your friends can try a variety of wines, you are destined to have a good time. They also host some fun events that are open to the public—so be on the lookout!