Need to Know: Suicide Prevention

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

The Office for Student Disability Resources and the Alliance for Disability Awareness, both housed in the Student Services Building hope to move the Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services back to campus.

Kendall Sharp

In comparison to the rest of the population, 18 to 25-year-olds are nearly twice as likely to live with a serious mental health condition, according to supportafriendiowa.com. They are also the least likely to seek help.

You may notice something is off about your friend or yourself. One symptom doesn’t necessarily identify a mental health disorder, but if it is a combination of the following symptoms, it may be time to talk to them or consider seeking help.

Common indicators:

Changes in appetite or sleep, feelings of extreme highs and lows, impulsive, reckless behavior, loss of interest in things they once enjoyed, excessive fears, worries and anxieties and substance abuse can all signify abnormal behavior.

It may seem uncomfortable having a conversation with your friend about their mental health status, but your support will make a huge difference. By initiating a conversation, they may feel more obligated to seek help. The most important thing to remember when talking to your friend is emphasizing you care about them.

How to start a conversation:

According to Student Services, phrases like, “I’ve noticed you seem a little down lately. Is there anything I can do to help?” can help people start conversations. 

People can also start conversations by saying “Because we’re friends, I know you well. I can also tell when something seems different. Can we talk about it?” Or “I’m concerned about you. If something is wrong, I’d like to help.”

Experts say if you are personally being affected by a mental illness, don’t be ashamed! You are not alone. Everyone needs a little help sometimes.

How to get help if needed

Iowa State has many resources and suggestions to support you.

Student Counseling Services

Where: 3rd Floor Student Services Building

Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

What: Crisis Services are available during their office hours

Crisis Text Line

How: Text ISU to 741741

Hours/What: 24-hour text based crisis assistance

National Suicide Prevention Line

How: Call 1-800-273-8255

Hours/What: 24-hour telephone hotline and internet-based chat, information for self-help or helping a friend: coping skills, mental health education

Start talking to help reduce the stigma of mental illness. Everyone deserves a happy, healthy life. Suicide is preventable. Help a loved one, friend or yourself.