Cap City League week two: Horton-Tucker and Jacobson duel in nightcap

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Members of the Iowa State Basketball Team took part in the second weekend of Cap City League games Sunday June 24 at Valley High School. This weekend seven ISU Players participated. 

Noah Rohlfing

The second weekend of Cap City League games took place Sunday afternoon at Valley High School, with seven Iowa State players taking part in the action.

Game 1: Waukee-Clive Vet Clinic 107, Hannah Homes 99

The first game of the evening was sloppy from the get go, as both teams traded turnovers in early action.

Waukee-Clive was led by Cyclone senior Zoran Talley Jr., who scored a game-high 30 points and chipped in a monstrous 21 rebounds as well.

Talley was 13-for-28 from the floor for the game, despite only hitting one 3-pointer. As a team, Waukee-Clive shot 10-for-31 from 3-point range. On the defensive end, though, Waukee-Clive forced 22 Hannah Homes turnovers.

Iowa State sophomore guard Terrence Lewis had a frustrating afternoon for Hannah Homes, shooting 1-for-9 from behind the arc and contributing one assist. He did score 23 points on 16 shots, but Hannah Homes was out of sorts all game long on offense.

Game 2: Sparta Waste Services 118, Hinterland 91

Iowa State freshman forward George Conditt made his Cap City League debut for Sparta Waste in game two of the night, and he did not disappoint.

Scoring 25 points on 20 shots, Conditt was effective on the defensive end at times as well, blocking three shots and disrupting countless others. He also grabbed 12 boards to complete his double-double.

Sparta Waste was led by Malachi Canada, who contributed 40 points and seven boards.

Sophomore walk-on Eric Steyer struggled for Hinterland, hitting two of his five shot attempts and scoring five points on the night. Hinterland committed 21 turnovers and was largely out of the game by halftime.

Game 3: Lion’s Club of Iowa 128, MRG International 102

Incoming freshman Talen Horton-Tucker put on a first half show for MRG International in the night’s closing game, wowing the crowd with a series of three ever-deeper 3-point jumpers, all of them hitting the bottom of the net with ease.

Horton-Tucker continued to fill up the scoreboard, finishing the night with 46 points after a 41-point performance in week one.

Not to be outdone, Cyclone junior Michael Jacobson hit some long 3-pointers of his own early in the second half and had 38 points. Jacobson was on fire all night from long range, going 8-for-13 from distance.

Lion’s Club jumped ahead at the beginning of the second half as Jacobson and freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton began to hit shots and create looks for each other and their teammates. Haliburton finished with 24 points of his own on 10-for-16 shooting.