Need to Know: Fitness on campus

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State Student Anna Johnson works out in the lower level of Beyer Hall April 03 as part of the ISU Weight Club. 

Jill O'Brien

Iowa State is home to not one, but two, gyms. Both gyms offer unique opportunities for fitness on campus. Iowa State is also home to many programs to bring students together to travel and participate in fitness activities or group workouts. 

Whether you want to go solo on your workout or want to rock climb in another state over spring break, Recreation Services offers something different for everyone. 

State Gym

Located on the west side of campus, behind Eaton and Martin Halls, State Gym was renovated in 2012 and is home to a gym, rock climbing wall, pool and various fitness classes. Students can also check out volleyballs, basketballs, towels and other equipment at the State Gym Service Desk. 

Students can gain access to the gym using their ISUCard. State Gym is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 

Lied Recreation Center

Lied Recreation Center was built in 1990 and serves as a recreation center for the east side of campus. It is located directly next to Maple, Willow and Larch residence halls. 

Lied Recreation Center is also home to a gym and climbing wall, as well as group fitness classes. Students can also check out equipment from the Lied Service Desk. 

Fitness classes

Both State Gym and Lied Recreation Center hold a variety of free fitness classes during the school year. From cycling to pilates to boxing circuit, there is a class for almost every skill level and experience level, according to the Rec Services website.

Outdoor Rec

Looking to take your workout out of state? Not only does Outdoor Rec have bike maintenance services and a rock climbing wall, the program takes weekend and extended trips around the country for whitewater rafting, backpacking, hiking and more. Students who are interested in registering for a trip can visit the Outdoor Rec page on the Rec Services website to learn more.