Parks Library getting some fresh, accessible and inclusive thrones

Hannah Olson / Iowa State Daily

One student studies at the end of a long row of tables on the third floor of Parks Library. Although it’s the first week of summer classes, campus is looking fairly empty as many have gone home and more and more students take their summer classes online.

K. Rambo

Down in the dumps? There are some big changes headed toward the bathrooms at Parks Library that just might flush the blues away.

Beginning May 7, renovations will be underway to make the restrooms ADA compliant while increasing accessibility for trans and gender non-conforming students with gender-neutral restrooms.

The renovations will be complete by the start of the Fall 2018 semester, according to Monica Gillen, communications specialist for the library.

According to a list of gender-inclusive restrooms, which generally are single-stall restrooms, maintained by the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success, there are currently 30 on campus, none of which are in Parks Library.

In an interview with the Daily earlier this semester, Kerry Dixon, capital project manager with Facilities Planning and Management at Iowa State, said there’s still work to be done in increasing ADA accessibility, but funding is often hard to come by and projects can be expensive.

According to Dixon, building an entirely new ADA- compliant restroom can cost upwards of $50,000.

“We’re probably 75 percent compliant, at this point, I don’t think there’s an academic building that you cannot get into the building and get into the classrooms/bathrooms.”

In spring 2017, a “comprehensive space and feasibility study” was completed at the library to assess accessibility, usability and inclusiveness.

The restrooms in question were built 57 years ago during the 1960s addition to the building and are located at the south end of that addition.

Restrooms built at the same time, located on the north side of the addition, are slated to be finished Summer 2019.

Gillen said Parks Library is one of the most used buildings at Iowa State, with more than 12,000 students visiting it each day.

Gillen also said Parks Library is “on the growing list of buildings with accommodating and inclusive washrooms.”