Special section: Student orgs

Caitlin Yamada

Iowa State offers more than 850 clubs and organizations for students who want to relish the part of their collegiate lives that is not academics — student activities.

So how do you know which ones you’ll be interested in? Here we have compiled a short list of a few clubs and organizations that align with high school organizations.

Special Interest

Gay/Straight Alliance ———– The Pride Alliance

“The Pride Alliance’s mission is to provide a safe space where students and guests can discuss and learn about the LGBTA+ community, their sexual orientation and gender identity, have support in their acceptance of themselves and others as we strive to eliminate homophobia and heterosexism in all aspects of life on and off campus,” according to the Pride Alliance’s student organization website.

4-H ———– Collegiate 4-H

If you participated in 4-H in high school or middle school, Iowa State does offer a Collegiate 4-H chapter.

“Collegiate 4-H tries to create a space where our members are able to develop professional connections and hone leadership skills. The club offers chances for members to attend national and regional conferences, meet with many state 4-H extension employees and serve in numerous leadership roles,” according to the Collegiate 4-H student organization website.

Student Newspaper ———– The Iowa State Daily

The Iowa State Daily is a nonprofit, student-run organization published in print Monday through Friday and online seven days a week.

“The Daily is instrumental in providing the ISU community with the area’s most comprehensive source of news, sports and entertainment, as well as state and national news,” according to the Iowa State Daily’s student organization website.

For students with an interest in magazine creation, Iowa State offers magazines such as Ethos and Sir magazines, two general-interest magazines; Trend Magazine, a fashion magazine; Veritas, a magazine focused on politics; and Sketch, a literary journal for creative writers and visual artists at Iowa State.

Media ———– ISUtv or ISU Film Producers Club

ISUtv is a student-run organization whose programming is aired on Greenlee TV, an Iowa State website, and on its YouTube Channel.

There are currently four shows airing: Newswatch on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, KURE Sports on ISUtv and Cyclone Incyders on Tuesday evenings and Ames Tonight on Thursday evenings,” according to ISUtv’s website.

Students are also encouraged to create shows that will air on their website.

For students who are interested in film production, ISU Film Producers Club “is focused on the creation, production and showcasing of student films as well as educating members on film styles, creation, production and appreciation of motion pictures,” according to the ISU Film Producers Club’s website.

Mock Trial ———– Mock Trial

Mock Trial is a competitive activity in which college students prepare to argue a fictional legal case. Teams throughout the country prepare the same case and compete against each other at tournaments held at various universities,” according to the Mock Trial’s website.

Other clubs such as the Cosplay Club, DIY Craft Club and Tea Club offer an organization for almost every interest.

Community Service and Fundraising

Students who participated in high school clubs such as Key Club, Lions Club, Best Buddies or any other service-related clubs have a wide variety of service and volunteerism clubs to choose from.

Iowa State offers a college Best Buddies chapter and a Lions Club chapter, along with other nationally recognized student organizations.  

Colleges Against Cancer holds Iowa State’s Relay For Life every year.

“Relay For Life is an organized, community event that’s main goal is to bring the community together to fight all cancers in all ages through awareness and fundraising,” according to the Colleges Against Cancers student organization website.

Iowa State also offers more local community service clubs and organizations.

“Iowa State University Dance Marathon is the largest student-run philanthropic organization on campus,” according to Dance Marathon’s student organization website.

In this club, students raise funds and awareness for the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. Every year, the club schedules an event to celebrate the benchmarks reached “For The Kids” in which participants are encouraged to stand or dance for the 15-hour event to support the children and their families whom the fundraiser is supporting.

Ames Community and Youth Club offers opportunities to give back directly to the Ames community. Every year it schedules events such as making blankets for the needy and making homemade Valentine’s Day cards for the elderly at the nursing home.

Many clubs are focused on their academic colleges. Each of Iowa States colleges includes multiple organizations that students can join to learn more about their academic areas.

Students can find a full list of organizations at https://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/