ISU entrepreneurs to pitch ideas in M-Shop

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Chris James, freshman in pre-business accepts his $1,000 check for winning ‘overall best pitch’ at the Innovation Pitch event held in the M-Shop March 8, 2017. 

Yuma Anderson

The Entrepreneurship & Innovation Learning Community is hosting the ISU Innovation Pitch Competition from 5 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the Maintenance Shop at the Memorial Union.

Thirty five Iowa State students will compete by giving a 90-second speech about a business idea, followed by a short question and answer session. Seven of the 35 are the winners of the College-by-College Pitch Off competitions, which were introduced this year. Each of the seven colleges at Iowa State will be represented in the ISU Innovation Pitch competition Tuesday.

The College-by-College Pitch competitions were started to encourage entrepreneurship to those who typically do not have opportunities to share their ideas. It is a new way for students in any major to get feedback for their ideas, and helps students gain practical communication skills in the professional world, such as giving an elevator speech.

“People are more willing to try new things when they are comfortable and surrounded by people they know,” said Judi Eyles, director of the ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship.

Those competing could earn a prize from one of four categories: best overall pitch, best new business idea, best innovation and best new social venture. There is also an award for the audience choice, where the winner is selected through audience votes.

The best overall pitch will win $1,000.

The ISU Innovation Pitch competition is sponsored by Renewable Energy Group, Workiva, Ames Economic Development Commission and Swimfluence. The competition is free and open to the public.