Student directed and produced production to be put on at Carver

Ryan Bretoi/Iowa State Daily

Carver Hall will be the new home for the theatre department.

Averi.Baudler.Com

Though the talent and professionalism of the cast and crew of “This is Our Youth” is not unfamiliar for Iowa State Theatre productions, it is made even more impressive by the fact that this show is completely student directed and produced.

“This is Our Youth” will be performed at Carver Hall in the Black Box Theatre from March 22 through March 25. 

“This show is about a kid named Warren, he’s a 19-year-old and it’s just kind of a coming of age story for him. Essentially, he steals $15,000 from his dad and he brings it over to his friend Dennis’ house and then they sort of concoct this plan to get it back to him,” said Erica Walling, the director of the show.

“You get to see Warren interact with his peers and kind of overcome some of his insecurities and learn about himself right in front of you eyes.”

Though Walling has directing experience from other productions, this show is her first experience directing an Iowa State show on her own. In order to be chosen to direct this student produced show, Walling had to go through an application and presentation process that included getting the rights to the show and detailed script analysis.

Though the process was long, Walling claims that the things she has learned while directing this production are beyond what can be taught in a classroom.

“It’s been really cool to get to learn how I function as a director while getting to work with my peers,” Walling said. “It’s been a really good learning experience because when you’re in class you get all of these things thrown at you and you learn, but to put it into practice has been really beneficial.”

T.J. Misseldine, a senior in psychology who plays Warren in the show, enjoys playing his character and agrees that “This is Our Youth” has been a valuable and collaborative experience.

“The dialogue of the show is very realistic, it sounds very conversational, which I like. My character is a smart kid and he’s kind of like any other teenager struggling with life,” Misseldine said. “Since the show is all student produced and we’re all peers, it’s been really fun and collaborative, and we can put in our input and bounce things off of each other.”

Ella Sibounma, freshman in english, plays Warren’s love interest, Jessica, in the show and believes that this show is different than other ones you will see on Iowa State’s campus.

“This show isn’t really over-the-top or in-your-face. This is real life, these are real people and this is their story,” Sibounma said. “It’s a very intimate setting and looks like a scene from someone’s everyday life. The audience is right in your face but it will be a really cool experience for both us and the people in the audience.”

All three can agree that this production is an important one for people to see.

“I think that it’s important for not only people in college who can relate to the characters and their struggles, but it’s also important for older people to see because it reminds them of what it was like back then and what they were like around that age,” Sibounma said. “It kind of brings you back down to Earth and brings things into perspective like what’s important in life and what’s not so important.”

Walling added, “One of the huge main themes that the guys in the play have to overcome is the idea of, ‘Who can I open up to? How can I open up to someone? How can I stand up to my friends? How do I exist in this world when I’m caught in between adolescence and adulthood and having to make all these decisions?’ So I think that it is especially important for college kids.”

Finally, for those who are considering going to the play, Misseldine wants you to be prepared for something you will likely not see in any other Iowa State productions.

“Come in with an open mind… I’d say it’s rated ‘R’ but it’s a really great show with a good message.”