Editorial: The importance of research at Iowa State

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

The Iowa State Research Park gives the “tenants” a chance to explore resources.

At one point, Iowa State was best known only for modernized agricultural research, but today it is renowned for groundbreaking research in many walks of life.

Since being established in 1858, Iowa state has made innovations throughout the years. From the founding of the College Herbarium (now the Ada Hayden Herbarium) in 1871 to the unveiling of Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensics Evidence in 2015, Iowa State’s research potential got a worldwide commendation.

Research has always remained a prime expedition and curiosity for Iowa State where researchers, including faculty, staff and students, are vigorously engaged in scholarly and creative activities that lead to discoveries, products and amenities.

The future of our society and humanity is inextricably linked with research which provides institutions like Iowa State with opportunities to discover, explain and evaluate new knowledge to make a difference in various walks of life.

Like other institutions, Iowa State is striving to address the emerging challenges in this 21st century. Iowa State desires to help create a thriving, healthy and sustainable future not only for Iowa, but the country and entire world through discovery, quest and disseminating the new knowledge.

For this purpose, research is vital for Iowa State.

Research is a tool for building knowledge and efficient learning which directly impacts the quality of teaching by benefiting students with advanced information and proximity to their subject matter. It keeps an appropriate and modern curriculum up-to-date, which has an enormous and valuable long-term and far-reaching impact on our students.

Research keeps faculty stimulated, challenged, nurtures them with professional eminence and turns professors into better mentors when they can empathize with their students. Research also ensures the provision of excellent education and training to students with the motivation of being a lifelong learner.

Research is also essential for the rational grooming of our students. It prepares them for future challenges and opportunities of practical life, as well as honing their critical thinking skills via careful, systematic procedures.

Besides that, research is critical for economic, sociopolitical and environmental protection endeavors at regional, national and international scales. It plays a crucial role in fueling the national economy by making the businesses more successful. Sound research help businesses to secure an advantage over competitors through state-of-the-art knowledge.

Iowa State is funded by different government organizations and private businesses to provide means to investigate various issues and design their solutions. Such financial grants are vital investments for modern laboratories, up to the minute libraries and current scientific gear. Ultimately, these facilities are made available to students for enriching their studies and providing them a real-time experience to understand a phenomena before entering practical life.

Finally, benefits of research to Iowa State cannot be quantified nor can they be overstated.

Prioritizing more funding toward research will not only expand the study options for prospective students, but it will be instrumental in building and refining knowledge, generating employment opportunities and bringing together diverse people from across the globe with common goals.

Sound research will make Iowa State’s degree itself more valuable.