Malaysian Cultural Night set to stun

[email protected]

The Association of Malaysian Students at Iowa State (AMSISU) hosted Malaysian Cultural Night 2017 Sunday night at the Memorial Union.

Zhe (Mia) Wang

The Malaysian Cultural Night, an annual event that has been hosted since the 1990s, will take place at 5 p.m. on Sunday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The event is organized by Association of Malaysian Students at ISU (AMSISU) and aims to bring together Malaysian students, as well educate the Ames community about Malaysian culture.

The theme of this year’s event is “Pasar Malam, A Night in the Market.” The event will start with cultural performances given by Malaysian students and professional stage perfumers.

The ISU GH Lion Dance-Guang Hwa will perform its classic lion dance at the event. Lion dance is a form of traditional dance in the Chinese culture, which involves performers mimicking lions’ movement in colorful lion costumes.

A group of Malaysian students will perform the Dikir Barat which is a traditional Malaysian cultural performance featuring folk dancing and singing.

After the performances, the food, games and cultural booths will open to the attendees. This year’s event will have a new coupon system meaning every attendee will receive five coupons initially for food and drinks. Then everyone has the opportunity to win five extra coupons through participating in the games and interacting at the cultural booths.

Jin Yew Lim, junior in biological system engineering and president of AMSISU, said the reason for the coupon system is to engage people with all the cultural activities and interactive games.

“We don’t expect you to complete the games or anything. Just try it out and you get a coupon,” Lim said. “And for the cultural booth, we just want people to understand a little more about Malaysian culture.”

Each food entrée costs five coupons, sides cost three coupons and drinks are worth two coupons.