Iowa State gymnastics takes third at Big 12 Championships

Members of the Iowa State Gymnastics Team watch the seniors highlight video following the Iowa State, Iowa and Missouri tri-meet. the cyclones won with a team score of 196.700 points.  

Austin Anderson

The Iowa State gymnastics team had its struggles early and late in Saturday’s Big 12 Championships but were able to bounce back and take third place over West Virginia, 195.650-195.625.

Oklahoma won the meet with a 197.775 over Denver’s 197.075.

The Cyclones struggled out of the gate on the beam, putting up a 48.775. Junior Meaghan Sievers and senior Kelsey Paz put up the Cyclones highest score on the event, each putting up scores of 9.775. Sophomore Molly Russ and freshman Ari Orrego added 9.750’s but it wasn’t enough to keep the Cyclones out of fourth place after the first rotation.

Iowa State bounced back back after that with a 49.125 on floor. Senior Briana Ledesma gave the Cyclones their first score of 9.800 or above on Iowa State’s tenth routine. Ledesma’s 9.825 was the first of three-straight impressive scores for the Cyclones.

Paz followed with a 9.850 and Young finished the event with a 9.900 to move the Cyclones past West Virginia and into third place at the midway point.

The Cyclones scored above 49.000 again on the vault with a 49.075. Freshman Sophia Steinmeyer tied her career high on the event with a 9.850 and Sievers matched her with a 9.850 of her own. Junior Kelly Martin and Young each added 9.800’s to keep Iowa State in third place.

Then Iowa State began the uneven bars with two falls from junior M.J. Johnson and sophomore Laura Burns, forcing Iowa State to count Burns score of 9.275. But the Cyclones didn’t fold. Paz hit her routine with a score of 9.850. Sievers and Young followed with 9.875’s. Senior Hilary Green finished the night out with a 9.800 and the Cyclones salvaged a 48.675.

The Cyclones will find out where they will compete at in the regional competition on Monday.