Global Gala to bring together nine student groups to share culture

Abigail Schafer/Iowa State University

Iowa State student and member of the Pakistan Student Association (PSA) shows off different varieties of Pakistan’s clothing culture and dance. The Pakistan Student Association was one of many multicultural groups to exhibit dance, fashion, and culture at the Global Gala.

Zhe (Mia) Wang

The 13th annual Global Gala will be hosted at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The Global Gala is a celebration of the various cultures present on the Iowa State campus.

This year’s event allows nine student organizations to showcase their cultural heritage through dancing, singing and a fashion show.

The nine organizations are:

ISU Bhangra

ISU Bhangra is a competitive Punjabi Indian dance team. Their goal is to promote and perform the traditional Punjabi Indian dance style of Bhangra both in Ames and at competitions around the country.

Live! Yoga, Live! Green

Live! Yoga, Live! Green is a forum to encourage a lifestyle conducive to yoga. Green living is also a crucial aspect of yoga.

Iranian Students and Scholars Association

The Iranian Students and Scholars Association is an organization that brings together students and scholars who are originally from Iran, of Iranian heritage or interested in Persian culture and language.

Mariachi Los Amigos de ISU

Mariachi Los Amigos de ISU is an organization that plays folk music from Mexico. A mariachi band features instruments including violins, violas, guitars, a guitarron and vihuelas.

Arab Students Association

The Arab Students Association works to represent the Arab community in Ames and help expand the knowledge of who Arabs are and what their culture is.

Descarga Latin Dance

Descarga Latin Dance club provides diversity and multiculturalism to the Iowa State and Ames communities through Latin dance.

Brazilian Student Organization

Brazilian Student Organization shares the Brazilian culture with the community by hosting cultural events and presentations and provides support for Brazilians students, scholars and faculty.

Pakistan Student Association

Pakistan Student Association raises public awareness and promote an understanding of Pakistan. It also provides a platform for students to learn about Pakistan, and helps Pakistani students adjust to the Iowa State campus.

Motion Sickness Dance Team

Motion Sickness Dance Team is a unique dance club at Iowa State. It mixes dance moves from hip-hop, jazz and modern dance.

Besides enjoying cultural performances, attendees can also have food, take pictures in the photo booth and write down their hometown on a poster which will form a map showing the diverse of Iowa State.