Green Dot Action Week: what’s happening this week

Luke McDonell/Iowa State Daily

Student received a ticket after participating in all the different tables. They could then enter their ticket into for a chance to win prizes donated by the bookstore.

Jill O'Brien

After Green Dot had been implemented on campus this year, the bystander intervention and violence prevention training program is taking more time to reach out and involve students, faculty and staff — one whole week, to be exact. 

The first Green Dot Action Week will start the first week of April with documentary screenings, panels, food and a chance to participate in a Green Dot bystander training. Here’s a rundown of the events happening this week: 

Monday, April 2

Documentary: “20/20: Sister Survivors” 

Memorial Union Great Hall, 6-8 p.m.

A screening of the 20/20 documentary focused on the survivors of former Michigan State University gymnastics and Team USA doctor Larry Nassar followed by a panel discussion on improving and calling of accountability in higher education. 

Tuesday, April 3

One Dot Service

Memorial Union Cardinal Room 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

Come work on a service project for Raising Readers and Project Linus, sponsored by Student Wellness. Project Linus gives blankets to children in hospitals, shelters or social services, and Raising Readers aims to improve child literacy. 

Wednesday, April 4

In This Together

Between the Memorial Union and Lake Laverne between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Event sponsored by the Iowa State Daily, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center and Student Wellness. Free HIV and STD testing will be available.

Thursday, April 5

Campus Conversations: Aziz Ansari 

Parks Library 198 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

Sparked by the sexual assault allegations against actor and comedian Aziz Ansari, this event is focused on “breaking down barriers of communication in relationships.” The event is sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion, human development and family studies and Student Conduct. 

Friday, April 6

Love. Eat. Empower.

Parks Library lawn 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

Smoothies, recipes and other treats will be provided. Can’t make it? The event will be livestreamed on Instagram at @ISUGreenDot.

Saturday, April 7

Green Dot Student Bystander Training

Union Drive Community Center 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

The final event of Green Dot Action Week. To register and learn more about the training, visit student wellness.iastate.edu/greendot.