Hip-hop and EDM to rule SUB’s spring Outdoor Concert

Fetty Wap, Cheat Codes, Kyle and Andreas Moss will be performing at the Spring Concert on April 22. 

Parker Reed

Student Union Board announced Monday morning that hip-hop, EDM and R&B would be the focus of their spring Outdoor Concert.

American hip-hop artist Fetty Wap will be accompanied by EDM trio Cheat Codes, hip-hop artist Kyle, and R&B singer/songwriter Andreas Moss on April 22 in the parking lot of the Molecular Biology building on campus.

Tickets are on sale now.

The announcement came after a previously teased image that showed silhouettes of each of the four performers, which caused many students to predict who they thought fit the images.

“Our ultimate goal was to keep it under wraps, to keep the hype up for it,” said Mackenzie Coberley, national events director for SUB. “Our intentions of it was that we knew people who cared about the concert would try and figure it out more.”

For the first SUB curated outdoor concert since 2013, organizers were focusing more on the overall picture, rather than a single act.

“We wanted an experience, rather than, ‘Oh, I just want to come for this one person,'” Coberley said.

Fetty Wap, born Willie Maxwell II, first rose to prominence in early 2015 with a string of Top-20 singles including “Trap Queen” and “679.” The former eventually went platinum and earned the rapper two Grammy nominations for “Best Rap Song” and “Best Rap Performance.”

After the release of “My Way” off of his self-titled debut album, Fetty Wap joined Eminem and Lil Wayne as rappers who have had three separate songs charting in the top 20 of the “Hot 100” at the same time.

Since 2015, Fetty Wap has released a variety of EPs and mixtapes, but the rapper’s sophomore studio album, titled “King Zoo,” is expected to be released in 2018.

“We got [Fetty Wap] as an off-cycle booking … but that doesn’t mean he isn’t still relevant. He just put out a [mixtape] last month,” said George Micalone, director of student activities for SUB.

Fetty Wap was also featured on fellow-performers Cheat Codes’ track “Feels Great” last year, which led to speculation as to whether or not the artists will collaborate at the actual event.

“That’s up to them,” Micalone said. “It might be anti-climactic if [Fetty Wap] came out for the openers’ set, so I’m not sure how they would do it … but it’s not out of the question.”

Los Angeles-based DJ trio Cheat Codes started creating music together in 2014 and has been gaining traction in the last few years by releasing a variety of singles with features from popular artists, such as “Feels Great” and “No Promises” which featured Fetty Wap and Demi Lovato, respectively.

The group later joined The Chainsmokers on a sold-out tour across the United States.

When booking the Outdoor Concert as a whole, SUB was specifically focused on booking artists that would appeal to as many students as possible.

“Urban is what’s more relevant [right now],” Coberley said. “You kind of have to predict who’s gonna break at what point … and we think people will come [to see Cheat Codes] to say, ‘I saw them when…'”

After deciding what genres to book, SUB was concerned with creating a fun, safe environment that would appeal to the public, as well.

“When we looked at who to book … we took a look at what they represent as an artist as a whole, what they are,” Coberley said.

Hip-hop artist Kyle is best known for his breakout single “iSpy” which features vocals from Lil Yachty. While Kyle has only released a couple of mixtapes, he has quickly become a known name in the music scene by collaborating with a variety of artists including Chance the Rapper, G-Eazy and Miguel.

In 2015, Kyle was named by Rolling Stone as “one of the ten artists you need to know.”

“We knew Kyle right now is really relevant in our Iowa State demographic, and we know that he will draw a certain crowd,” Coberley said. “Some people will come for Kyle and stay for the rest of the show.”

Nashville-based R&B singer Andreas Moss has only been releasing music since 2016, but has steadily grown a presence on streaming platforms such as Spotify, where his debut single “Thinking About You” garnered over one million streams within a month of its release.

“We got [Moss] as a recommendation … he has a few songs that have been gaining traction online,” Micalone said. “We think he’s going to be a solid opener.”

Tickets are $25 with a student ID in advance, $35 with a student ID the week of the show, and $49 to the public.

Tickets can be purchased at the M-Shop box office or online via Midwestix.