StuGov approves Committee on Lectures contract, discusses chief officer compensation

Sarah Henry/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State Student Government meeting in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union on Nov. 29. 

Alex Connor

The Senate approved a three-year annual $165,000 contract with the Committee on Lectures, as well as $4,500 to fund Brazilian Carnival Night.

Additionally, the Senate approved $800 to the Iranian Students and Scholars Association to go toward its Nowrooz event, which is a celebration of the New Year.

A representative from the organization said that the group is requesting more funding because when requesting funding for the event last year, $1,610, they based it off attendance from two years ago. However, last spring the group had 220 people attend the event.

A $539 debt contract to be paid over five semesters to Veritas, a campus political magazine, so that the organization can receive money during annual allocations.

To get out of debt, the group said they plan on hosting fundraising events and possibly raise the price off advertisements.

A large topic of debate during Senate focused on the compensation of chief officers. Currently, the president and finance director receive full tuition remission each semester, equivalent to the in-state resident undergraduate tuition.

The vice president and speaker, however, receive remission for half in-state resident undergraduate tuition.

If enacted, the bylaw change would have reduced the funding to the finance director to receive half-tuition in the fall and full-tuition in the spring. The vice president’s remission would have increased to three-fourths tuition.

Sen. Sam Freestone, who sponsored the bill, said that he felt this proposal was the most “budget neutral” as it strictly reallocated funds within the chief officer positions.

Ultimately, the Senate decided to table the bill for the second time.

Student Government President Cody West expressed his disappointment in the Senate’s decision to postpone the legislation because of the opportunities they have outside of the weekly meeting to discuss legislation. 

In regard to special orders, Kathryn Walker was also seated as a senator to UROC.

West, during open forum, also asked that Student Government temporarily discontinue passing out lip balm funded by their organization, as he received an email about potential harmful ingredients. 

Citing ingredients such as octinoxate and avobenzone, West said he will continue to look into the product to make sure it is safe for distribution to the students.