2018 Cyclone Softball season is heading back into town

Head Coach Jamie Pinkerton talks to Member of the Iowa State Softball team during the 7th inning Sep. 23. The Cyclones defeated the Kirkwood Eagles 9-1.

Ivan Vega

Softball season is back in Ames and coming in with a lot of momentum from last year. 

“To go unbeaten in the fall was good,” said coach Jamie Pinkerton.

The 2016-17 season ended with a 23-35 overall record (6-12 Big 12), but still managed to enter the team into the Big 12 championship. There, they lost all three games. 

Despite this, the team’s outlook is to build off of last year’s run heading into the 2018 season.

Pitchers 

Brianna Weilbacher is one of the returning seniors in this rather young roster. Weilbacher was instrumental in the team’s success last year. The pitcher out of Colombia, Illinois, made team-highs of 22 starts and 36 appearances in the mound.

“I do look to build on confidence, and I think that builds off my teammates,” Weilbacher said on her season’s goals.

She will be one of only four seniors in this 2018 roster.

Outfield 

Kaila Konz, a senior out of West Des Moines, Iowa, is entering her last year in the Cyclone softball program, and she wants to end in the right fashion. 

“I think being a senior, I’ve tried to step into the leadership role,” Konz said. “I know it’s been difficult having three different coaches, but I think it’s gonna be good.”

Konz is now under her third head coach, but sees this season as an opportunity to be a leader to the younger players. 

She played in all 58 games last season, and compiled a .312 batting average, ranking fourth of all the Cyclone batters.

Infield 

Sami Williams, a sophomore out of Laguna Niguel, California, made All-Big 12 first team, All-Big 12 freshman team, and was a NFCA National Freshman of the Year finalist. 

Williams led the team in batting average (.363), runs scored (33), hits (66), doubles (20), home runs (8), runs batted in (31) and slugging percentage (.615) in her freshman campaign.

The second baseman feels she can always improve and make the team better.

“I definitely want to improve on certain pitches, really attacking my weaknesses and making sure I develop those,” Williams said.

Catcher 

Kaylee Bosworth, a junior out of Manvel, Texas, is the team’s returning catcher.

Bosworth is coming back from a hip injury, but played all 58 games last year, catching for Emma Hylen, Savannah Sanders and Weilbacher.

“I feel pretty confident in my relationships that I have with all the pitchers,” Bosworth said. “So that’s good because they are all very different.” 

Bosworth led the Cyclones in field percentage out of all regular starters with a  .978 average, and caught 14 runners trying to steal bases.

There’s a lot of energy that comes with the 2018 season. Iowa State will host 13 home contests, including three Big 12 series’ at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

The Iowa State softball team will begin their season Friday, Feb. 9, in the Kickin’ Chicken Classic in Conway, South Carolina.

“With softball season coming around it means warmer weather is around the corner,” Pinkerton said.