BOR to discuss Bergstrom Complex expansion, program change after Wednesday meeting

Danielle Gehr

Committees passed items Wednesday which will affect Iowa State. The Board of Regents will discuss these items at Thursday’s meeting.

During the Wednesday meeting, committees met throughout the day at the Alumni Center to hear proposals and presentations from the regent universities. 

Without any questions from the Academics and Student Affairs Committee, a request moved on to full-board consideration to change the names of three programs: master of business administration, professional master of business administration and executive master of business administration.

Regent Nancy Boettger, chair of the Academics and Student Affairs Committee, said the new ideas for the master business programs sound exciting. 

The potential expansion of the Bergstrom Football Complex also moved on to be discussed by the board tomorrow which could amount to over $65 million. 

Regents Chief Academic Officer Rachel Boon presented the distance education strategic plan saying there is growth among solely distance education students as well as students who mix traditional and distance education. 

“The mission of distance education at the Regent Universities is to provide access to courses and programs beyond the physical boundaries of the campuses to meet learning needs of Iowans and to enable regional, national, and international audiences to access the faculty expertise and high-quality programs of Regent Universities,” the strategic plan states.

Provost Jonathon Wickert brought up a major which Iowa State removed due to low student enrollment in the program. He said it was able to be brought back as a minor with the option of online classes.

Dawn Bratsch-Prince, associate provost to faculty, gave a presentation on faculty advancement and a new system which will “help faculty work with their department and college and establish clear expectations and track performance.”

Regardless of title, all faculty will participate in in-depth performance reviews every five to six years on top of yearly reviews at the department.

“Iowa State University works with its nearly 2,000 faculty to maintain high standards of teaching, research and service, beginning from the date of hire, and extending beyond the promotion and tenure process,” according to a document on the BOR website.

Iowa State allows an extension of the tenure clock for those who find themselves in the middle of starting a family or need to take time to take care of older family members.

Billy Boulden, assistant dean of students and director of greek affairs, was joined by his constituents from University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa to talk about the “power and presence of fraternity and sorority life.”

Iowa State has four governing councils with 64 greek organizations with over 1,500 students involved, according to the presentation. 

Iowa State has one local chapter, meaning there is no other chapter like it in the country, which is over 100 years old. 

Greek life at Iowa State includes educational programs such as retreats, seminars, workshops and academic courses.

Hazing was a concern that Nancy Boettger, vice chair of the campus safety and security committee. 

Boulden said students clearly understand that forcing someone to drink alcohol is hazing and said that it no longer exists at Iowa State.