Michigan State University department chair announced as second Vet Med dean finalist

Dan Grooms is a professor and chair of the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences at Michigan State’s College of Veterinary Medicine. 

Halee Olson

The Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine announced Dan Grooms, professor and chair of the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences at Michigan State’s College of Veterinary Medicine, as the second of three, formerly four, finalists for dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

According to Grooms’ curriculum vitae, he received his bachelor’s degree in animal science from Cornell University and his veterinary medicine degree and a doctorate in veterinary preventive medicine from Ohio State University. He also holds board certification with specialty in veterinary virology from the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists.

Grooms started at Michigan State in 1997 and was promoted to his current position in 2014.

The Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine website lists Grooms’ specialty as bovine infectious diseases and his research interests as control and prevention of bovine infectious diseases and pre-harvest food safety.

Grooms will visit Ames on Tuesday, Feb. 6 for an open forum in classroom 2532 of Veterinary Medicine college from 3:15-4:15 p.m. A recording of the forum will be made available after all campus visits have concluded.

There has been a change in the open forum schedule. Open forums for the remaining three candidates will be held on Feb. 6 and Feb. 19. Each candidate’s name will be released 24 hours before their campus visit.

There is a feedback form available for those interested in voicing any strengths or weaknesses they see in Grooms.

More information regarding the hunt for the next Iowa State Vet Med dean can be found here.