President Wintersteen to hear from Senate during weekly meeting

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

President-select Wendy Wintersteen speaks in the Memorial Union after being announced as the next President of Iowa State University on Monday. She was unanimously chosen by the Board of Regents. Wintersteen is the first female to hold the position of President at Iowa State.

Alex Connor

Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen will visit Student Government Wednesday for the first time since being appointed to her position.

Student Government Vice President Cody Smith said during last week’s Senate meeting that she will be visiting to hear about the initiatives the student body has been taking on rather than to take questions. 

Typically, the Iowa State president visits Student Government on a per semester or annual basis. Interim President Ben Allen addressed the Senate in the fall, where he answered questions relating to the recent 7 percent tuition increase proposal.

Since beginning her post in November 2017, Wintersteen has worked to familiarize herself with campus as a whole. 

“I think it’s just so important to begin a process of working with the various official groups on campus and hear what they have to say, what would they like to say about their challenges and what they see as the opportunities,” Wintersteen said in an interview with the Daily. 

After the program with Wintersteen, the Senate will debate several internal pieces of legislation with no external funding requests up prepared for discussion.

One resolution, as introduced by Sen. Lilian Juma, requests that Iowa State administration “prioritize gender inclusive restrooms when adding new facilities or expanding existing buildings on or off-campus.”

If approved, the resolution will also show Student Government’s support to make campus more inclusive to students who do not identify as cisgender and may not feel comfortable using restrooms labeled male or female.

“There is a lack of gender inclusive restrooms in many of our campus facilities,” the bill reads. “Transgender and gender non-conforming students should not have to trek across campus to simply use the restroom.”

The Senate will also discuss a bill introduced for finance committee to be able to shuffle funds for Student Government’s annual allocation process for the upcoming fiscal year.

The bill asks that $15,000 be transferred from the Green Initiative Fund and Excellence Fund, as well as $70,000 from the Special Projects Account to total $100,000.

The money distributed during annual allocations goes toward student organizations to fund its activities.

Lastly, the Senate will debate a bill, introduced by Sen. Connor Theisen, that aims to terminate the practice of student organization debt settlements. 

A debt contract allows for student organizations to overcome financial missteps and to continue its good standing with the university.

The bill argues that while the contract allows and organization to continue to operate it “can severely cripple the ability for success within that organization for the duration of the debt contract.”

Recent debt contracts approved this year include that to Veritas and the Disc Golf Club.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. Meetings are held weekly on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.