Four takeaways from Iowa State’s 21-20 win over North Dakota State

Iowa State Redshirt Freshman Ian Parker Wrestles Matthew Schmitt during the Iowa State vs West Virginia wrestling meet Jan. 21. The Cyclones Defeated West Virginia 25-16.

Trevor Holbrook

After a thrashing from Oklahoma State last weekend, the Cyclones seeked redemption against North Dakota State on Friday night.

Iowa State put itself back in the win column, winning 21-20.

141

Lately, 141 has emerged as a weight featuring a lot of changes for Iowa State. The trend continued on Friday night.

After former-Cyclone Kanen Storr was granted his transfer release from Iowa State, redshirt freshman Ian Parker bumped up from 133 to fill the void in the lineup.

Parker thrived, knocking of Oklahoma’s Mike Longo and Oklahoma State’s two-time NCAA Champion Dean Heil in Parker’s first weekend at 141.

“I felt amazing [at 141],” Parker said about his matches in Oklahoma. “I felt like I do in practice, not like I have been at 133, feeling completely drained. [I was] tired of cutting weight all the time and not being able to put enough stuff back in my body.”

When the 141-pound match rolled around on Friday, Iowa State already trailed 11-0 after a pin at 125 and a technical fall at 133. The Cyclones needed a spark at 141, but they wouldn’t get.

Parker didn’t receive the opportunity to emulate his performances in Oklahoma. Parker got banged up during the week and didn’t make the trip to North Dakota.

With a healthy Parker, the Cyclones would’ve been favored at 141, but instead, Iowa State sacrificed six team points. Iowa State found itself behind 17-0 after three matches.

Jarrett Degen

While Parker found success against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, redshirt freshman 149-pounder Jarrett Degen hit a rough patch.

Degen had three losses entering the Oklahoma road trip, but the 149-pounder tacked on two more losses in Oklahoma.

Degen’s opponents — No. 14 Boo Lewallen and No. 20 Davion Jeffries (rankings from Intermat) — failed to pile on any bonus points on Degen.

Lewallen escaped sudden victory with an 11-9 win, while Jeffries pulled out an 8-5 win.

The redshirt freshman bounced back against North Dakota State’s Kyle Gliva. Degen and Gliva started slow, ending the first period scoreless. In the second period, Degen started on top, but Gliva managed to earn a reversal.

Degen responded with an escape, followed by a takedown; Degen held a 3-2 lead after two periods.

In the final period, Degen took control, racking up four points and another point off 1:11 of riding time.

Brady Jennings

Speaking of rough weekends on the Oklahoma road trip, redshirt sophomore 165-pounder Brady Jennings lost via pin against the Sooners and the Cowboys.

The 165-pound spot has been a point of weakness this season, and it showed again in Oklahoma.

Prior to the North Dakota State dual, Iowa State coach Kevin Dresser explored all ideas for the struggling 165-pound spot.

“Actually, we’re thinking about shaving [assistant coach Brent] Metcalf’s head and painting him,” Dresser said with a grin on Tuesday. “No, we gotta figure that out [at 165], someone’s got to step forward.”

Against North Dakota State, Jennings matched up with redshirt sophomore Andrew Fogarty. Fogarty entered the dual with a 23-8 record, including a win over Michigan’s No. 9 165-pounder Logan Massa earlier this season.

Jennings gave up a takedown in the first period, but Jennings rebounded, turning it into a reversal. Tied at two, Jennings rode Massa hard throughout the first period; the two remained tied heading into the second period.

Massa started on top to start the second period, but Jennings managed to pick up another reversal, snagging a 4-2 lead. Similar to the first period, Jennings remained in control on top, riding out the period.

Jennings didn’t slow down in the third period. The redshirt sophomore added a take down, extending his lead to 6-2. Jennings stayed in control, racking up 3:16 of total riding time to end the match.

Sam Colbray and Marcus Harrington

Down 20-13 with 197 and 285 remaining, the Cyclones needed redshirt freshman 197-pounder Sam Colbray and redshirt junior heavyweight Marcus Harrington to combine for seven team points to tie the dual.

Colbray hit a setback late in the third period after being called for stalling twice. Colbray grabbed a late takedown to tie match at three and send it to sudden victory.

In sudden victory, Colbray found a way to pick up another takedown, keeping Iowa State alive.

The Cyclones trailed 20-16 with Harrington slated to finish the dual for Iowa State. After two slow periods, Harrington dug in for the third period.

The heavyweight rattled off seven points in the last period and added another point from riding time. North Dakota State and Iowa State were locked at 20 team points each.

Tied up, the dual was decided by criteria. The first form of criteria is the amount of wins. Iowa State won six matches to North Dakota State’s four, which granted the Cyclones an extra team point.