The Cyclones stay on the road, attempt to build familiarity in new roles

Redshirt Sophomore Markus Simmons wrestles against Northern Colorado wrestler Rico Montoya Jan. 5 in Hilton Coliseum.  The cyclones were narrowly defeated by the UNC Bears 20-22. 

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State took its lumps on a road trip to Oklahoma, losing to the Sooners and Oklahoma State. The Cyclones shook up their lineup, and the changes resulted in athletes filling in at different weights.

The Cyclones board the bus again for duals against North Dakota State on Friday and South Dakota State on Sunday.

The aftermath of Kanen Storr’s transfer resulted in an opportunity for redshirt sophomore Markus Simmons. Storr — Iowa State’s starting 141-pounder for the first 11 duals — left a hole in the Cyclone lineup.

“Markus is a guy that’s got tons of potential,” said Iowa State head coach Kevin Dresser. “We assigned Simmons to [assistant coach] Derek St. John…if Markus Simmons follows Derek St. John to a T, he’s going to be a guy who’s going to be really, really solid by the end of the year.”

Redshirt freshman 133-pounder Ian Parker plugged the hole at 141-pounds, and Iowa State wrestling coach Kevin Dresser handed the 133-pound reigns over to Simmons.

Simmons has competed in six duals at 133-pounds, compiling a 2-4 record, but the Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, native matched up with some quality opponents.

On Sunday, Simmons lost 6-2 to Oklahoma State’s Kaid Brock, the No. 3 133-pounder, according to Intermat. Simmons lost three other matches to top-20 wrestlers, but Simmons managed to keep the matches close, losing two by decisions and one by a major decision.

Simmons has competed against a slew of quality athletes, but this weekend he may find his toughest match of the season in Iowa State’s dual against South Dakota State on Sunday.

Headlining South Dakota State’s wrestling program is junior 133-pounder Seth Gross. Gross suffered his first loss on Jan. 18 in a match outside of his typical weight class.

The Jackrabbits battled the Wyoming Cowboys on Jan. 18, and Gross elected to jump up to 141 for the dual to face Bryce Meredith, No. 1 141-pounder according to Intermat; Meredith pinned Storr in Hilton earlier this year.

Meredith edged Gross out 4-2, but other than that Gross has cruised in his junior season, pinning his last five 133-pound opponents.

“I know he’s really good on top, he doesn’t stop,” Simmons said. “I just have to wrestle my match. If I feel good out there, I know that I’ll give him a good match.”

Simmons said the key against Gross will be to stay in positions that he likes and avoiding spots where Gross can turn Simmons.

After Simmons, the new 141-pounder, redshirt freshman Ian Parker, anchors the Cyclone lineup. Parker excelled at his new weight, knocking off Oklahoma’s Mike Longo and Oklahoma State’s two-time NCAA Champion Dean Heil, resulting in Parker receiving Big 12 Wrestler of the Week.

The transition to 141-pounds resulted in a smooth switch for Parker and Iowa State. Parker benefits by avoiding weight cuts to make 133-pounds.

“I felt amazing [at 141],” Parker said. “I felt like I do in practice, not like I have been at 133, feeling completely drained. [I was] tired of cutting weight all the time and not being able to put enough stuff back in my body.”

Longo and Heil challenged Parker in his first weekend at 141-pounds, but this weekend Parker receives a break from ranked opponents.

North Dakota State’s 141-pounders have failed to stay above .500 in duals this season, while South Dakota State’s Henry Pohlmeyer sports a 6-3 record in duals, including a win over Oklahoma’s Longo on Jan. 28.

Iowa State’s success will be influenced by 133 and 141, but a key weight for the Cyclones also lies at 165-pounds.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State exploited Iowa State’s weakness at 165. Both Oklahoma teams earned pins over Iowa State at 165-pounds.

As a whole, the Cyclones slumped to 2-11 at the weight, including one win via forfeit.

When asked about 165-pounds, Dresser replied with a unique idea.

“Actually, we’re thinking about shaving [assistant coach Brent] Metcalf’s head and painting him,” Dresser said with a grin. “No, we gotta figure that out [at 165], someone’s got to step forward.”