Vice president and chief information officer at Iowa State resigns

Beardshear Hall from Central Campus on Sept. 19.

Jillian Alt

Jim Kurtenbach stepped down from his position as vice president and chief information officer (CIO) effective Nov. 30. He will return to his tenured faculty position in the College of Business according to a statement released by the Office of the President. 

Professor Kristen Constant was appointed to the position of interim vice president and chief information officer effective Friday, according to The Gazette.

Kurtenbach’s appointment in 2016 drew negative attention as Iowa State University never advertised or conducted a search for the positions, along with his assisting former Iowa State University President Steven Leath in acquiring his pilot’s license with the university’s planes. 

In a statement regarding Kurtenbach, President Wendy Wintersteen said that he was an essential part of “modernizing the IT infrastructure,” referring to his introduction of Canvas to Iowa State, as well as improving security and introducing new programs to Iowa State’s information systems.

“We greatly appreciate his leadership over the past three years with these important projects,” Wintersteen said.

Executive director of university relations John McCarroll said that Kurtenbach was involved in many noteworthy projects during his time serving as vice president and CIO the past 3 years and enjoyed the work, however he had also talked about returning to teaching on several occasions. 

“[Kurtenbach] was in the role for three years and he’s had some pretty significant projects,” McCarroll said. “He loved the work, but he also spoke about returning to teaching a couple of times.” 

Kristen Constant is filling the position as interim Vice President and CIO as of today. Constant has been at Iowa State since 1992, and serves as chair of the materials science and engineering department, as well as a Wilkinson Professor of Engineering.

The Board of Regents has not yet approved this appointment and will consider it in the future at an unknown date and time.

In reference to Constant’s appointment to the position, Wintersteen said she is glad that she has accepted the interim position.

“She has the expertise to keep us on track as we move toward full implementation of Workday,” Wintersteen said in a statement. “We look forward to how this complex, multiyear endeavor will ultimately transform our administrative functions for the 21st century, improving human resource, finance and student business processes and services campuswide.”