Team effort, slow pace themes in Cyclones’ win ending non-conference play

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State freshman Cameron Lard tips the ball in during the second half of the Cyclones’ 55-49 win over Maryland Eastern Shore.

Emily Barske

Alley-oops, ball screens and wide open threes were among the ways Iowa State got on the board with just two bench players Wednesday night.

Iowa State (9-2, 0-0 Big 12) defeated Maryland Eastern Shore (3-10, 0-0 MEAC) 55-49 in Hilton Coliseum.

Despite a limited lineup, Iowa State was able to score early and maintain a lead, though not at their usual pace. The Hawks couldn’t shut down the dispersed scoring and didn’t have enough players making shots on the other end. 

At the half, redshirt junior Nick Weiler-Babb, senior Donovan Jackson and freshman Terrence Lewis all had seven points. Lard picked it up in the second half and ended up being the Cyclones’ leading scorer with 15 points — a tie for a career high — followed by Jackson with 12.

Sophomore Solomon Young and Weiler-Babb each had 12 rebounds for Iowa State. 

Though there was a solid team effort throughout the game, the Cyclones didn’t play well in the second half. The Cyclones’ 17-point lead at the half may have been the only thing that kept them in the game. The Hawks outscored them by 11 points after the break. 

Maryland Eastern Shore tried to make a comeback late in the second half, cutting the lead to nine points, which was the only point in the game they weren’t behind by double digits.

After a Jackson 3-pointer, the Cyclones got the lead back into double digits until 30 seconds were remaining in the game. That lead dropped to nine points and, finally, six points to end the game. 

Redshirt sophomore Ahmad Frost led the scoring for the Hawks with 19 points and senior Logan McIntosh had 17 points. The rest of the Hawks scored four points or fewer.

The Cyclones were down to seven players after it was announced shortly before the game that Hans Brase wouldn’t play due to a sprained ankle.

Jakolby Long — suffering concussion symptoms — and Zoran Talley Jr. — dealing with a stress fracture — were also out.

Jackson said the absences didn’t make that big of a difference since last year’s team often play with seven members.

“We just got to be locked in more,” Jackson said. “I’m kinda used to it. I don’t think it’s a big drop-off.”

Jackson said they need to get Brase back, though, when asked how his absence affected the game.

While it was a poor game for Maryland Eastern Shore, Iowa State didn’t play up to its standard either. This was the lowest score the Cyclones have had all season.

“We turned it over more today than we did the last couple of games,” Prohm said of Iowa State’s 17 turnovers. “We just didn’t have a focus tonight. I’ve got to get them to do better in these situations.”

Prohm is hoping to have a healthier team going into the conference schedule. After the game, he said Long is currently playing non-contact, Brase is questionable and Talley is scheduled for an MRI two days before the next game. 

Iowa State returns to Hilton Dec. 29 to face Kansas State to open Big 12 play. Iowa State goes into the game on a nine-game winning streak after dropping the first two games of the season.

“There’s so much more improvement we have to make,” Prohm said. “We have to figure out how to take another step up the mountain.”