Iowa State shows team composure in the close victory to Iowa

Redshirt freshman forward Cameron Lard celebrates after a dunk on the Iowa Hawkeyes Dec. 7, in Hilton Coliseum. Iowa State defeated the Hawks 84-78.

Brian Mozey

There was 9:46 left in the game and Iowa State was up 61-57 trying to extend its lead.

Then, Cameron Lard did what he does best. That’s getting the sellout fans in Hilton Coliseum out of their seats.

A bounce pass into the paint from senior Hans Brase found redshirt freshman Lard right by the basket. Lard grabbed the ball and found his way through multiple Iowa defenders to reach the hoop.

He threw the ball into the net and held onto the rim, while one of the referees blew his whistle and signaled for a foul. When Lard landed back onto the floor, he looked straight at the student section and screamed in celebration.

After that point in the game, Iowa State never looked back. The Cyclones kept that lead and defeated Iowa 84-78 in the annual Cy-Hawk Series game at Hilton Coliseum. A place where the Hawkeyes haven’t won in since 2003. 

“Great win and really proud of our guys,” said coach Steve Prohm. “I know these guys made a lot of people happy tonight and that’s what it’s all about.”

Iowa State couldn’t get its fast-pace tempo going in the first half because Iowa was out rebounding the Cyclones 28-18, while also taking an 11-4 advantage on the offensive boards.

Due to this lack of rebounding, Iowa State had zero fast break points, but was able to keep it close down 41-36 at the half. Just like the Northern Illinois game, the Cyclones came out slightly cold, missing the first three of four shots. Then, the trio of guards made their impact.

First, a jumper by senior Donovan Jackson. Then, a layup and 3-pointer by redshirt junior Nick Weiler-Babb.

Finally, with 16:38 left in the second half, freshman Lindell Wigginton was hit by an Iowa defender underneath the basket. He decided to just throw up a prayer and it landed in the basket along with an and-one opportunity.

“I was just trying to be aggressive and get to the hoop,” Wigginton said with a smile on his face. “I work on [these plays]. I just threw it up and it went in.”

Even though Iowa State led the rest of the way after Lard’s dunk, it wasn’t comfortable. Coach Steve Prohm said he saw the fight he wanted from his players with the last five minutes in the game.

Every time Iowa scored, Iowa State would respond right after the score to keep that lead at four or five points. Ever since the Tulsa game on Nov. 17, the Cyclones have won by double digits, so a close game at the end is new territory for these players.

The biggest reason why Iowa State kept that lead was crucial free throws. In the last three minutes, the Cyclones went 6-for-8 on the free throw line. Four of those shots came from Brase.

“Hans [Brase], we wanted in the game because he’s a good decision maker and he can hit free throws,” Prohm said. “He’s experienced, he’s a fifth-year senior that came from a program that’s about winning. We’re glad to have him playing now.”

Brase had five points with all five coming from the free throw line tonight, but his seven rebounds and three assists is what Prohm is looking at to complete his all-around game.

Iowa was one of the biggest non-conference games for Iowa State on its schedule. A win against the Hawkeyes and its sixth straight win of the season, the Cyclones are taking steps to preparing for the Big 12 regular season starting in three weeks.

“We kind of see where we’re at now,” Weiler-Babb said. “We grow every day. This was a big time win for us so we got to enjoy it tonight… then we got to start a whole new day.”

For Wigginton, it was his first time playing in the Cy-Hawk rivalry and his 24 points helped boost the Cyclones to victory. For him, it was an atmosphere unlike any other.

The only problem for him is that he has to shave his afro now. Prohm said that if Iowa State won the game, Wigginton bet he would shave his hair, so a new hairstyle is coming for the freshman guard.

“It was crazy [in Hilton Coliseum]. I’ve never heard [that noise] ever in my life,” Wigginton said. “I was loving it though. I don’t usually get hyped, but I was getting hyped.”