Editorial: Get out and vote in City of Ames election

Katy Klopfenstein/Iowa State Daily

Voting booths stand empty Tuesday in Maple resident hall for voting for Ames City Council. There was a minimal student voter turn out.

As voting for city elections is upon us tomorrow, the editorial board wants to remind you to get out and vote. Vote not just because you have the power to, but because local officials make more impact on your daily life than any other level of government. 

Students, faculty and staff of the Iowa State community are impacted every day by decisions made for the Ames community at large. While in many ways Iowa State is it’s own bubble within Ames, the university and city — in some eyes one entity — are so melded together it’s impossible to separate the two.

The city and the university have to work together in order to be a high-functioning and cohesive place that attracts both students, permanent residents and private business. Additionally, city resources should be allocated in such a way to not only consider permanent residents but also students who make up a vast portion of the population in Ames. 

We have a specific message for students. Millennials are statistically less likely to vote, according to the Washington Post. Let’s change that. Look at the Daily’s coverage of the candidates and find out more about how to vote.  

Issues such as resources for sexual assault survivors, lease gaps and mental health haven’t always been at the forefront of local leaders’ minds though greatly affecting students. Lincoln Way expansion and economic development also impact students’ experience at Iowa State.

Choose a leader who you think will work well with Iowa State’s President-select Wendy Wintersteen. Both the city and Iowa State should work on big projects to increase investment and attract and retain students and professionals of all types.

The cost of living, driven significantly by housing costs, can negatively or positively affect a person’s decision on where to study. The city plays a role in this.

Zoning laws have an effect on the number of people who can live in the areas surrounding campus. Moreover, many new construction efforts require the approval of permits by city officials.

The city of Ames with the new mayor should work together with Iowa State to help increase inclusion and celebrate diversity throughout our community. Neither the university nor the city can make meaningful progress on diversity and inclusion if they don’t work in tandem. Neo-Nazi and white supremacy posters being placed on campus is not just an Iowa State issue, it is a larger issue that requires the action of an entire community.

The ISD Editorial Board believes the new mayor and city council members should actively engage with students to listen and understand their struggles. Then, they should work just as tirelessly to help address these issues as they do for permanent residents. Don’t let students issues take a backseat. 

If students got more involved in local government, officials would have to listen. Students have the chance to hold power in decisions made in Ames, but only as much as they get involved. So, go vote.