Faculty senate proposes two new bachelors degrees

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Faculty Senate representatives Bianca Zaffarano, Jose Rosa and Clinton Gudmunson listens to a presentation about Canvas, ISU’s new learning Management system during the Faculty Senate meeting Sep. 12 in the Great Hall. 

Tiana Nichelson

The senate discussed adding a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science and a bachelor’s degree in data science to Iowa State’s curriculum at Tuesday’s Faculty Senate meeting. 

At the monthly Faculty Senate meeting in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, the senate was introduced to a new minor and two new bachelor’s degrees. They were also presented the benefits of the Green Dot program. 

The meeting began with a speech from the Greek community thanking faculty at Iowa State for their support. They provided snacks for the meeting and asked anyone in attendance to get involved with philanthropy.

Violence prevention and Green Dot coordinator, Jazzmine Brooks, spoke at the meeting. She said the program addresses sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking on campus.

“We don’t just talk with students about how to address some of these issues; we talk to you,” Brooks said. 

Brooks told the faculty Green Dot can help them learn how to handle these issues. She said they have created tool kits specifically made to help professors prevent and help end violence on campus. 

Tim Day, Faculty Senate president, addressed the senate. He said he hopes to find a conclusion for the nontenure eligible faculty changes soon, but nothing has been decided yet.

The senate voted to discontinue the master of science in landscape architecture. The landscape architecture department continues to offer the the master’s in landscape architecture. 

The senate also voted to remove the words, “such as,” from the U.S. Diversity and International Perspective Requirement.

Claire Andreasen, director of veterinary pathology, said there had been a change to the faculty handbook under Unacceptable Performance of Duty. The section was previously directed toward tenure faculty only and has been changed to address all faculty. 

Tim Bigelow, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, proposed a minor in textile design. He also shared with the senate a proposition to create two new bachelor’s degrees. One in actuarial science and one in data science.

Nothing has been decided.  

Bigelow also reminded the senate about a proposed change to syllabi. The student government has been advocating to include student wellness information on all syllabi. 

Student Government President Cody West was not in attendance.

“The idea is a short blurb that is put in the syllabus to provide students with mental health resources,” said Day. 

A senator shared a story about his student who had asked for help and was continually directed somewhere else. Day commented that Iowa State is working to improve its resources. 

Editor’s note: As of 11/17, this article has been updated to correct the error that the senate voted to discontinue the master of science in landscape architecture.